CH21

The following day was an absolute nightmare for Chenle. He woke up to the Taeyong calling him to his office and little to no sleep. Upon entering Taeyongs office, he could already feel the tension.

"Do you have something to tell me?" Taeyong asked, preempting the following news he was about to break.

"I punched a guy" Chenle deadpanned

"So you admit it"

"Yes"

Taeyong sighed, tapping the table with his finger "This is unlike you. You wouldn't punch someone for no reason"

"He's stalking Arin" Chenle's jaw tensed

"Do you have evidence?" Taeyong pursed his lips

"No"

Taeyong exhaled, leaning forward in his chair "We'll find a way to get evidence for Arin. But for now, you know what happens if you break a rule here"

"I accept the punishment" Not once did Chenle look up at Taeyong. Everything within him wanted to fight back and say this was ridiculous, but he couldn't. A fire station had strict rules, and as a Captain, he can't break them. It was his issue he got too riled up and punched someone when that was one of the most basic rules here. Do not, under any circumstance, attack a civilian. It was the fact that Chenle punched him first, and the 19 year old boy didn't fight back. On video, it seems like Chenle, a firefighter, was abusing a civilian. He was just incredibly unlucky that Arin's stalker, was in fact, a smart man.

"You'll be suspended from your work for a week" Taeyong stood up, hands in pocket and a stern expression painted across his face "You're not allowed in the vicinities of this station for the week. Pack your bags and find somewhere to stay. Don't do it again"

;

As Chenle was packing his bags, Arin walked in, her bubbly smile falling upon seeing Chenles state.

"Are you going somewhere?" Arin asked, slowly approaching Chenle.

"Going home" Chenle grunted. He has been in a bad mood ever since his encounter with the boy who set the garage on fire.

"For how long?" Arin asked, beginning to feel uncomfortable with the suffocating silence the room.

"A week" Chenle looked at her "What's the name of the brother of the boy you saved from the broken down inn?"

"Why do you need to know that?"

"Just tell me" Chenle's agressive tone caught her off guard.

"Hajoon" Arin recalled. Chenle simply nodded, continuing to fold his clothes. He had made the decision not to tell her, as he wanted her to be able to live without worry and sleep well. The moment she knows about this stalker, the more uneasy she would get every second. Chenle didn't want that. He would rather protect her with every muscle in him than have her terrified of leaving her room.

"Why did you ask?" Arin pried, sitting on the bed opposite him.

"Curiosity" Chenle shrugged. His tone remained cold and isolated "Don't leave the station for the next two days. Give me your phone"

"Huh?"

Chenle snatched the phone from her, seemingly typing something. He handed the phone back to her shortly, stood up, and simply left without another word. When Arin looked down, he realised he had put himself as her emergency contact. She couldn't help but smile internally

Knowing Chenle, he was always stuck in his bubble and cared for people silently. Whether it be when he prepared ginger soup for her after she ran her punishment around the track under thundering rain, or when gave her the kimbap the day after they got stuck in the elevator, he cared a lot more than he makes himself out to be.

As Chenle left, bursts of gossip erupted in the other room. Arin walked out to check with the commotion is, only to hear all the unit 3 firefighters looking at their phones.

"What's going on?" Arin asked, her hand holding the door frame.

"Chenle's job got suspended!" Haechan gasped, showing her the formal letter sent out to the station's forum. The letter was addressed to unit 3 firefighters, from Taeyong himself, stamped with a red ink of approval.

"What?" Arin whipped her head around, only catching Chenle's back disappearing from the door. She turned back to the crowd "Why?"

"He apparently punched someone" Renjun added to the conversation "But that's not something he would do"

"He...punched someone? Who?" Arin couldn't feel more puzzled than she is now. They might've known eachother for around 3 months, but Arin knew the Chenle who gave her an umbrella because he felt bad couldn't just punch someone for no reason. 

"Didn't specify who he punched. It just says he's on leave for a week" Jaemin said. They were all worried about him because each and every one of them knew Chenle wouldn't punch someone for no reason. This news came too abruptly for them to even process that they have lost their captain for a week.

"Guys. Stop gossiping and get to training" Jeno snapped. Even though Jeno was also concerned for Chenle, as deputy captain, he had to keep everyone in order before he comes back. All the boys began running to the track, brushing off this issue as Arin remained rooted to her position.

Does Hajoon have something to do with this? Is that why Chenle asked for his name? Arin thought, but ultimately, there wasn't much she could do about this situation even if she wanted to. What's done is done, and she was just as clueless as everyone else.

With a messy mind, she entered the hospital ward to check up on Jisung.

"How are you feeling?" Arin asked, refilling his IV drip.

"I'm literally all okay now" Jisung's eyes brightened upon seeing her, but his expression quickly fell when he noticed she didn't seem very happy "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" Arin sat down, taking Jisung's hand in hers to feel his pulse "I'm just confused"

"About what?"

"The Chenle thing. Didn't you hear about it?"

Jisung fell silent. He nodded, indicated that he indeed already knows about the incident.

"He isn't like that" Jisung mentioned as Arin stood up and went to busy herself with his medication trays

"I know" She responded, her actions suddenly stopping "I'm just worried"

Jisung hated himself for having selfish thoughts at this moment. Because the first thing he thought of was:

Was she this worried about me too?