EPILOGUE

6 MONTHS LATER...

He was worthless

Perhaps this line had been repeated to him so many time since the incident that he has become numb. He has been spending all his time recovering, physically and mentally, trying his best to pick himself back up from the bottom. Arin came to see him often, helping him every way she could; bringing him food, change of clothes, entertainment. Anything.

But Chenle just wasn't the same anymore. He didn't smile, he didn't fight, and he often apologised for things he didn't need to. It hurt everyone to see Chenle lose that spark in him.

As for Arin and Chenle's relationship, they were technically engaged, having exchanged rings on that night. But never held a wedding to confirm everything because Chenle was simply scared to swear his life onto Arin, because he couldn't give her everything she wanted. He's lost his job, and he's spending hundreds of thousands on recovery.

Arin did return to her job as a doctor, mainly to help Chenle get over this mental hill, as well as gaining the confidence to pursue her dream as a doctor after saving Chenle.

Today, was the day Chenle got out of hospital and can travel independently.

"Be careful" Arin murmured, helping him onto the wheelchair. His eyes were so blank, it was like the walls he had built around him before, was re-built and reinforced.

"I'm fine" Chenle said. He said this often, and he never is "Go back to your work. I know you're on shift right now"

"I'm the Head doctor. I listen to myself" Arin retorted, gathering his things and placing them in his duffle bag. Arin then slowly wheeled him out. He had his head down the entire time he was taken to the car and back to the fire station to collect the rest of his things. He was ashamed that the almighty leader, has become the man he is now. Broken, useless.

The moment he made it into the fire station, he felt a swarm of familiarity hit him. His eyes became glassy, staring at the walls of the fire station he had worked his whole life in, and the equipment he once knew like second nature. It wasn't until Taeyong, who approached him, that he began shedding tears.

"Chenle" Taeyong knelt down, placing his hand on Chenle's shoulder. Taeyong was the Head, and he never knelt down to anyone. Funny how the first time he did this was out of pity.

"I have an offer for you" Taeyong chose his words carefully. Chenle's grip around the wheelchair's arms tightened.

"I want you to join the control centre" Taeyong said softly. But anyone knew this wasn't what Chenle wanted. He wanted to be out there, battling flames and saving people. He wanted action and he wanted to protect people with his own two hands. Not sitting somewhere, talking.

The silence was heavy when Taeyong asked. However, footsteps approach them that triggered Chenle to look up. It was Mark.

"Hey" Mark smiled, masking his solemnness "The control centre isn't as bad as you think. I worked there for ages. Come on. If you don't accept, you're being real rude to a job that I, personally, love"

Only now did Chenle crack a small smile.

Moments later, Jeno appeared as well, smiling and placing a hand on his shoulder as well "I've got it. I'll make sure this unit is equally as good when you were here. Trust me"

Chenle nodded. He knew he trusted Jeno to become leader. They had been fighting together all these years and not once did he doubt him.

Then, Renjun walked up, hands folded together "Finally no more 10 km runs on a Monday morning"