CH32

"you protect your people. and i'll protect you"

-

Chenle whipped around to face her, pushing her body against the wall and pinning her hands up. The brick wall left minuscule scratches against her hand, but that was the least of Arin's concerns. She could barely breathe right now.

"I-" She couldn't even start her sentence before she felt a pair of lips upon hers and the grip around her hands tightening. A frenzy destroyed her stomach, her entire body weakening momentarily that she almost toppled over if it weren't for Chenle's grip.

It was a rather strange sensation. There was a hunger behind this kiss, yet it was soft, like he was testing whether she was accepting it. Subtly, his hand dropped hers, instead moving to press against the wall for support. Briefly, he parted.

"Sorry" Chenle exhaled through his nose "I don't know what came over me"

"What, the fact that you just kissed me because Jisung was about to?" Arin chuckled softly, her breaths hitting his lips.

"Arin" Chenle glanced up towards her eyes, but not extending the distance whatsoever. Their foreheads were pressed together, noses barely a centimetre apart.

"Yes?" She responded. She could tell Chenle wanted to say something, but couldn't bring himself to. He had a puzzled and annoyed expression on his face that was hard to decipher, but she still offered him her comfort. Cupping her hands over his cheeks, she nodded, beckoning him to continue. His body visibly loosened at this physical contact.

"I like you. God, I've liked you since the day we met I just...didn't want to admit it. I want us to be together and I want us to be able to hold hands wherever we are but..." Chenle dropped his gaze "But you and I both know the consequences of dating a firefighter. We wont see eachother outside of this station because our breaks are so rare. There wouldn't be any picnic dates, or movie night, or even beach walks. I'll be in the frontline handling missions whilst you'll be in the back treating patients. That not even the worse part"

Arin waited for him to take a breath before continuing

"The worse part is that I can die, easily, in a mission. And I'd leave you here alone when I promised to take care of you. The country needs me, I pledged to shield our world. But I'm not strong enough to do both. I can't...I can't promise that I will come back everyday because we both know how dangerous every mission is. I can't give you what you deserve"

Arin nodded "I know. I know the country needs you and I know the people you need to protect. You're our captain. You have the burden of the people of Seoul and Unit 3 on your shoulders. I know"

Chenle looked defeated, like this was all pointless, like he simply didn't know what to do anymore. If only, he wasn't a firefighter and she wasn't a doctor, they'd be like any normal couple. They'd be able to have picnic dates and movies nights and beach walks. They'd be able to have everything

Arin continued "But you need to be protected too. Who cares about picnics and movies. I just want you to be safe, and I'm willing to protect you, when no one else can. You don't need to worry about me. You protect your people. And I'll protect you"

Chenle chuckled "So what does this mean?"

"Day 1 as my boyfriend" She smiled "But, you can't tell the others. Not yet. The moment I can keep up with everyone at training, then we can tell everyone else. I want to be worthy of you, Mr. Captain"

"You're fine"

"I won't let the others think that I am not worthy of fighting beside you"

;

"Good morning" Arin exclaimed happily as she entered the recreation room to pour herself a cup of coffee before her work began for the day.

"Hey" Chenle responded, passing her a cup of coffee that he had already made for her.

"Thanks" She took it, and sighed as she could finally taste something warm in this horrible weather.

"That's it?" Chenle asked, a smirk climbing up his lips as he slowly approached her

"What do you mean-" Her words were sharply cut off when Chenle encased her between his arms, his hands against the tabletop and her, clutching onto her mug for dear life, against it.

"Someone's going to see" She slapped Chenle against the arm, frantically glancing around to see if anyone was there.

"Calm down. They should all be at morning training" Chenle's volume slowly died to a whisper, angling his head to try and kiss her. She leant back, still afraid that someone was going to burst in and lose their minds at what was happening in the recreation room.

"Now's not the time. I need to join them in training soon" Arin placed a finger against his lips, pushing him back "Remember what I said last night"

"I think you're worthy as you are now" Chenle rolled his eyes "I would scream to everyone that I've got myself a gorgeous doctor as a girlfriend right now if I could"

Arin laughed, placing her mug down. She wrapped her arms around him "Really?"

Chenle cocked his head to the side "Everyone! Come back in! I want to announce that Arin is-"

Arin, shocked at the sudden yelling, clammed her hand over his mouth.

"Shut up" Arin hissed "I was joking"

"I wasn't" Chenle's arm slid around her waist, pulling her body closer. Arin knew exactly what he was trying to do again, but this time, she let her eyes flutter shut to embrace the kiss. Their noses touched, and like their first kiss, it felt like a million balloons popping and flying around in her stomach.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of a bag hitting the floor, and the devastating exclamation of:

"What the actual fuck"