CH40

"he was like a painkiller. her remedy."

-

The fire was even bigger when Chenle returned to the war zone. He jumped into it, grabbing a hose and shooting down the growing flames. But his mind was elsewhere. For the first time in his life, the flames in front of him were not his focus, instead, it was his girl crying on the ground yet he couldn't do anything about it.

"Captain! The hose is tilted!" Jaemin yelled. Chenle's focus was jerked back as he adjusted the hose. Those three seconds lost because he was distracted caused the fire to burn upwards.

"Jeno, take control. I'll go test the wind direction and power" Chenle, deciding he was not fit to man the hose, passed the job to Jeno and pulled out his monitor. For a couple seconds, images of Arin crying on the floor flashed in his mind, a gnawing feeling of restlessness manifested within his stomach.

"What's the wind direction?" Taeyong called out to him. Chenle didn't hear him, instead stared blankly at the monitor.

"Yah. Zhong Chenle" Taeyong exclaimed furiously. When Chenle's focus returned, he suddenly felt his body bang against the ground, his eyes shutting momentarily. Taeyong had grabbed him and shoved him away from a falling tree, causing Taeyong's leg to catch on fire briefly.

"What the fuck is wrong with you" Taeyong screamed "Are you dumb to be standing directly under a tree? You're the leader. Act like one"

Chenle apologised, scolding himself for being so absentminded in a crucial time like this.

"Taeyong, are you okay?" Mark ran over to see Taeyong's leg. It was badly burnt, but thankfully, it was put out quick before it could get further into his flesh.

"Focus, Zhong Chenle" Taeyong pointed a finger at him "Or else I'll kick you out of this station immediately"

;

Hours dragged on since the incident. No one had time to mourn. Arin, out of fear, backed out from the position of head doctor and began treating patients that were labelled green or low yellow, meaning their symptoms weren't nearly as life threatening as the ones she treated before. Luckily, a doctor came in to replace her after her mentality collapsed.

Arin walked around the side to get a cup of water, bumping head first into a chest as she dropped the paper cup.

"Sorry" She murmured, barely having recovered from her breakdown.

"Long time no see" It was a disgustingly familiar voice. She rose her head, and immediately, her legs felt numb as she almost tripped over her own feet. Her hands balled together in a fist, colour draining out of her already pale face.

"Why..." She spluttered. In front of her was the young man who she sworn should be in prison: Hajoon.

Hajoon smirked "You don't seem so glad to see me"

"You should be in prison" Arin continued to step backwards. She remembered Hajoon waving an oil carton at her, as if mocking her.

"I'm a minor" He chuckled "All I had to go through was juvenile detention, with some extra charity work. You can't do anything against me"

Arin's breaths became heavier and heavier, fear overwhelming her

"Where's Chenle? Jisung? Is he dead? God, I set this forest on fire hoping it'll kill more people so I could have you all to myself. No more Jisung, no more Chenle" Hajoon paced around in a circle, looking up at the roof as if it was truly fantasising.

"You're crazy" She located the exit door right behind her, taking slow steps towards it.

"I know" Hajoon laughed "Don't look so scared. I won't do anything. I'll give you all a big present"