CH22

"the feeling of being used and swapped around like he was a product being bargained"

-

On Chenle's side, he had settled back home, waiting for his father to arrive home. He had never been close to his father, because of his duties at work. As time progressed, they just grew further and further apart. Like a string that is about to be snapped. His father was the Head police at his own police station. Being someone of great honour and duty meant that he was never home. With Chenle's job also being equally as demanding, they saw eachother a maximum of twice a year.

The door opened, the twinkling of the bell signifying Chenle that his father had arrived. Chenle stood up, saluting his father, who had just stood there to process what was happening.

"Son" His father voiced, clutching his police cap in his hands "Why are you home?"

Chenle didn't know why, but that questioned pained him. Like he wasn't supposed to be home and he didn't live in this house, even though he knew his father had no bad intentions asking the question.

"I got suspended from work" Chenle sat back down, prompting his father to sit opposite him.

"How so?" His tone was more so disappointed than shocked, as his father poured a cup of tea for them both.

"I punched a guy"

The sound of liquid being poured into a cup stopped, replaced with deadly silence. The ambient sound soon continued as his father seemed to have mentally processed his confession.

"Why"

When you put two cold people together in a room, the conversation could not get any drier than it already is. Chenle got his personality from his dad, and neither of them can hold a decent conversation without it dying into silence every so often.

"He was stalking my friend" Chenle now switched his posture and leant forward "Can you please investigate him, father. Please"

His father passed Chenle a cup of tea, in which he accepted with two hands.

"So that's why you came back here"

"Father, please. I don't have the rights to start an investigation and nor do I have evidence but this has to be done" Chenle's words became increasingly messier, the tea in his hands shaking ever so subtly.

"You've never asked me for anything before and this is the first thing you ask me to do?" His father looked up to look directly at Chenle, who was already looking at him with pleading eyes.

"Father. You're the Head police. I know you can get this done"

His father seemed to contemplate for a second "Ill consider it if you do me a favour"

"Anything"

"Come to dinner with me"

;

Chenle wanted to dig himself a hole and bury himself right there, right now. He sat a massive round table, with a bunch of 70 year olds surrounding him. He couldn't even eat properly, too afraid that he'd accidentally disrespect an elderly or something.

"This is my son" Chenle's father stood up, holding his wine glass for a toast with basically signalled Chenle to stand up and drink. So Chenle stood up, bowed his head in greeting, and lifted his wine class up. The old men around him all laughed heartily, raising their glasses. Each one of them sported the police uniform, and each one of them had columns upon columns of badges down their chests. Chenle was the only one in casual clothing.

Chenle downed the red wine, the bitterness causing his throat to burn. He was not a good alcohol drinker, and never has been. His tolerance is equal to a toddlers.

"He's captain of a fire station. But I must say, perfect material to be a police" His father laughed.

"He does look quite suiting to be one. He could be an ace in our station" One of the men laughed. Chenle gritted his teeth, his fist hitting the table ever so softly. His father had wanted him to be a police for the longest time because he believed being a police was supposedly more prestigious and more...honourable. Not to say the police are useless, it was just to Chenle, he didn't want to be moulded into his father's shadow. Perhaps the more his father forced him, the more he wanted to rebel. He knew what he wanted and he strived for it. He now understood why his father wanted him to have dinner. To try and get his fellow policeman to hire him and take him away from his firefighting job.

"What position do you do at your station?" One of the men asked Chenle, obviously trying to figure out how worthy Chenle is to be swapped to their police station.

"He's the captain of their unit" His father answered for him, a smug smile upon his lips. Chenle hated this feeling. The feeling of being used and swapped around like he was a product being bargained. Like his hopes and dreams were nothing. Like his hard work was reduced down to his fathers wishes. He worked his ass off to become a firefighter. He won't throw it away.

"Oh, is that so?" The man laughed in joy "You might have to come to my station and-"

Chenle didn't know what to do, so he stood up, raised his wine glass and beckoned them all to toast with him. He couldn't just say no and storm out the door, because he really needed his father to file a warrant to arrest Hajoon. He had to suck it up.

"Thank you" Chenle blurted, already feeling the alcohol get to his head. Just as he was about fo sit down, another man stood up and walked beside him, eagerly urging for another toast. Chenle knew his body was breaking down already, but nevertheless, he stood up, held the wine glass with two hands and bumped glasses. Another chug of alcohol washed down his throat. He felt like vomiting and his body was on fire. He barely was about to sit back down without toppling.

"Father, I might need to..." Chenle felt so dizzy, his head pounding repeatedly "I might need to go"

His father looked at him annoyed, but seeing Chenle's state, he'd rather Chenle leave than be an embarrassment.

"Whatever. Leave" His father spat, before standing up, dragging Chenle up with him "He has to go back to the station to fulfils his duties. So, he will head out now. If any of you are interested, contact me, hed be more than willing to transfer"

Chenle, because he was completely out of it, nodded and stumbled out the door, hands having to hold onto the wall to stabilise himself.

"Oh fuck" By the time he made it to the door, he fell to his knees and his conscious blurred.