Chapter 34

You and Ms Rosalyne walked through the courtyard of the shelter, looking at the simple Christmas decorations done on a few trees and fences. Ms Rosalyne was rather joyful today, smiling the whole way. It seemed she liked doing this a lot, perhaps due to the fact that she had nobody else to spend Christmas with. It made you upset thinking of that possibility, you found it hard to believe that her husband couldn't even come for Christmas, if they were on speaking terms at all. You wanted to know about her family more but held back in asking. You also wanted to invite her to your house today to celebrate together but wasn't sure if she'd want to, and also didn't know how to explain to your mother that you wanted to invite your teacher.

"Ah, seems like Ruby spotted us already~" Ms Rosalyne chimed and you saw the owner's cat, Ruby, strutting towards you two. Ms Rosalyne opened her arms and Ruby was quick to jump on her and hug her, nestling into her neck comfortably.

"Hi, Ruby. Did you miss me?~"

"Meow~" Ruby purred and embraced her more, attempting to cradle into her arms but wasn't able to as Ms Rosalyne was holding a packet in one of them. You instinctively took the packet from her, giving her assurance you can carry both. She smiled at you and finally held Ruby properly, holding her in a baby-like position and wrapping her own scarf over her.

"It's so cold and you came running like this. Were you excited to see me or for the treats, hm?~"

"Nyaa~"

"Hehe~ Come on, let's go inside and warm up~"

Ruby rubbed her cheek against Ms Rosalyne's chest, and you couldn't help but blush at the scene as she was practically laying on her breasts. You averted your gaze and continued walking beside Ms Rosalyne towards the mansion, the owner opened the door for you two and you exchanged greetings while she took you to the basement where the other animals were.

"They were all waiting for you to come since morning, Rosalyne. They'll be so excited to see you and I'm so happy you brought Y/n along." the owner said with a smile. Ruby was still in Ms Rosalyne's arms, now drooped over her shoulder instead. She looked at you standing behind Ms Rosalyne and you smiled at her then extended your arms forward, thinking if she'd want to come to you.

"Ruby, would you go to Y/n now? I have to do some other things~"

Ruby stared at you for a minute then lunged at you and you barely caught her, carefully holding her in your arms.

"She's so fluffy and warm...." you said in awe as you lightly caressed Ruby's body and felt her thick and soft fur. Ruby then looked up at you and licked your cheek before purring and snuggling into your neck with ease.

"Aww, looks like Ruby really likes you, Y/n~" Ms Rosalyne complimented, making you blush.

"I don't really know why....this is just the second time we have met."

"Well, you are naturally quite likable. It's no surprise to me that even a reserved animal like Ruby would come to you~"

You blushed further from Ms Rosalyne's unexpected compliments, and she too realized that perhaps she went overboard and became flustered.

"Thank you, ma'am...."

"No worries... A-Ahem, let's get the things out."

She proceeded to unpack the bags, first taking out the food packets and storing them in the kitchen with the owner's help followed by the toys and other accessories. She first took out collar that had a red gem on its center and came towards you while looking at Ruby and smiled at her.