ONE

The boot closed with a clatter, shattering through the hot, sticky summer air.

Mabel climbed into the car, grin on her face as she tapped at the seat's headrest in front of her. I shook my head, a smile on my face. Mabel had always been a wild spirit, always enjoyed the freedom of driving on the road.

Connor grinned, entering the driver side of the car.

"Who's ready for the road trip of the century?"

Mapel hollered, I shook my head. Smile on my face as I climbed into the passenger side seat. Connor grinned, swiping his hair back.

College has always been stressful. We are all almost strangers, even though I've known both Mabel and Connor since I was young enough to walk. But the minute the Semesters bell rings. We are back to being best friends.

"Where first?" Mabel questioned. I clicked my seatbelt on, adjusting my position on the seat.

"Well we could go to my grandads cabin." Connor suggested, slowly leaving the gravelled drive way. "We always go their." Mabel pointed out.

I bit my lip, glancing down at the unfolded map on the dash board. "We could just drive." I glanced at Connor. "I mean I see multiple inn's we could stop in for the night - and if we get too tired of it we could go to his granddad's cabin."

Living on the road for ten days would be a challenge. But one we all desperately needed. We are so used to being hunched over a desk rushing to get work done, cramming in time to study before an exam. And the stress of work mixed in. It all became too much, even for us. The three of us, especially me, were known for being able to hold up under stressful circumstances. I would have to, I'm studying medicine. Specifically nursing.

"I like it." Connor nodded, his legs shifting open wider as he got more comfortable. I snap my eyes up. Brows furrowed further together.

When the fuck did Connor start to get attractive? Nonetheless he did nothing but get comfortable in his seat. Its official, I'm losing my mind. My face fell slightly. I was disgusting.

Never in my life have I thought of someone as attractive. Never mind my childhood best friend.

The drive up the empty road is quiet, and I'm thankful for the silence. Mabel's silent hums fill the car, accompanied by the pat of Connors fingers drumming a beat into the steering wheel.

A smile spread on my lips. These were the memories I wanted to have with my friends. It's been so long I had almost forgotten the feel of having them around. Perhaps the flutter in my abdomen every time I look at Connor is nothing more than a friendly kind of love. After all I did just go through months of not talking to him, never mind not seeing him.

I'm jerked from my thoughts as the car made a rumbling stop. Connor furrowed his brow and with one hand, he parked the car at the side of the road. Just when the car came to a stop, black smoke puffed from the engine.

I clicked off my belt, opening the car door. Coughing instantly as the smell of Smoke enters my nose.

"I told you not to buy that thing." Mabel coughts, waving the smoke away from her nose. I nodded, agreeing.

Connor grumbled. "In my defence it the engine was built by dave." I froze in my tracks. Eyes shut, painfully slow as I tilted my head up to the glaring sun.

Dave has been known to mess up all his projects. He managed to blow up a bowl of rice in the dorms, how he did that I will never know. But my question is why Connor allowed him to go near the engine of his car. If the never ending falling flakes of rice isn't reminder enough, would the home made conditioner made hair removal cream not be enough? Poor Ashley has a bald spots to this day.