FIVE

My stomach dipped as I glanced between each tree, even the skinny bushes that wouldn't be able to hide anything or anyone behind or in it.

I wasn't taking any chances.

My eyes thinned into slits as the sun glared into my eyes. Almost making a sting spread through my irises. Twigs dont snap on their own, wild life could possibly make some twigs snap. But - I doubted there was anything big enough in these parts. The first sign of humans being near they would have left.

"Who's there?" Mabel questioned, feeling bold as she stood to her full height. She looked almost comedic in her denim shorts, out here in the hottest weather yet. Free to have any amount of bug eat at her sweaty, bare skin. Her short frame would make any man over 5'8 laugh.

I rised to stand beside her, I wasn't much taller than her, maybe a head or two but my presence could stop anyone from wanting to attack. Taking down two people at once would almost be a challenge. That was - if the unknown person was alone.

There could be a group of people we didn't know travelling through. But I prayed that wasn't the case. At least with the group of men in the camp now, I know their intent. I wouldn't know the others travelling through. It could be something as common as wanting to hike through the parts. Or - under age, care free sex. Or to get rid of a body.

Either way, I stepped in front of Mabel, fingers spread as I glanced around the area. I know I wouldn't be able to take on a man, let alone a woman. But I would be damned if I stood in front of her, not allowing her to take the blunt of a possible attack.

It wasn't who I was. 

"Come out." I forced my voice high, shuttering along with the breeze that carried through the air. "We know someone is out there." I said, voice carrying confidence I didn't know I had.

"Don't shoot." Max and Connor grinned. Hands up in surrender, a playful look graced both of their faces. I sighed, feeling my muscles relax just a fraction.

"Very funny guys." Mabel rolled her eyes, stepping forward as she threw her hands around Max and Connor, giving a squeeze as she laughed the scare off. I can understand it. The relief, I felt it too. But I knew Max's type like the back of my hand.

Good-looking and cocky. Their goal with a Woman is to fuck her and then leave her. I've witnessed a few girls in my dorms cry over the slut calling they receive after. If Max was here it was for a bad reason. My gut was almost always right. I wasn't going to stop now.

"What. Were you scared Jason voohrees was out in the woods." Connor grinned as he referee to the camp fire story last night.

"No," She scoffed. I balled my hands into a fist. The tension is enough to cause a small tremor. "Not you too." I said, voice even.

"What?" Connor questioned, he didn't see the fault in his joke. And maybe if I didn't have a heart as soft as I did, maybe just maybe I would be able to understand why exactly they found stuff like this funny. "You of all people should know Connor." His face paled slightly. "Death is no joke."

Back before I had decided what type of career path I was going to choose. Connor and his ex- girlfriend took some tabs, mixed it with some alcohol. His ex - girlfriend was fine, but Connor had an overdose. I had saved his life that night, half an hour later and we would have lost him. He was dancing with death that night. How he could speak of death with such ignorance almost baffled me completely.

"Why would he of all people know?" Mabel questioned, head tilted back slightly, Waiting for my answer. So he didn't tell her. But that wasn't my business to discuss with anyone else.

"He's training to be a surgeon." I said. Connor looked gratefully at me, before his eyes slid back over to Mabels.

Max laughed. "All the more reason to live your life to the fullest, proof you don't see tomorrow coming." Max's voice was light, almost as if he could feel the pulsating tension.