Part 1, Chapter 1

"Not Much Of A Choice"

"안녕! 장주냐, 듣고 있어요?" (Hey ! Jangjun ya, are you listening ?) I was taken out of my daydream as I hung out with my friends. We were currently just hanging out at the coolest place in our city, "THE DOOM". The Doom essentially was a space for teens & young adults to immerse themselves completely in VR Chatrooms. Talking or texting basically in any setting you want & without picking up your phone. Most never left which caused VR withdrawals that can last months...

"What ? I was dreaming," I honestly let my friend know I wasn't paying attention. This seemed to cause my friend to brush this off with a smile as they began their spiel again. They were explaining that they'd soon stop frequenting our VR Chats because his parents  felt he was wasting too much time with technology. That he needed to "forget his dreams about Ophelia City & live for himself"... At least that is what he told me.

It wasn't long before I was alone. I liked it. The quiet was calming to how chaotic my energy was during my day. I was still in VR Chat when I was getting these off messages. 

~~~~~~~

[UNKNOWN]: Jangjun ya, it's been a while. How are you ?

Jangjun: 누구세요? 이 메시지들에 어떻게 접속하셨나요? (Who is this ? How have you accessed these messages ?)

[UNKNOWN]: I can't speak for long, Jangjun ya. Do you still dream of going to Ophelia City ?

Ophelia City... the city that resembled paradise on Earth. I have always wanted to go. I especially am interested in the organization we've come to know as S.Y.N.D.I.C.A.T.E. This very organization practically runs Ophelia City as its own nation. Things were different there. New opportunities will arise from just being there. 

Jangjun: I have always wanted to go to the capital. Why  do you ask ?

[UNKNOWN]: 가. 최대한 빨리 가. 기다리고 있을 일을 후회하지 않을 겁니다. (Go. Go as quickly as you can. You won't regret what will await you.) :).

~~~~~~~

A smile. I know of only one person who'd sign this way... I rushed home to see my dads. This couldn't wait.

"아까 이상한 메시지가 왔는데 유진이 형이가 보낸 거 같은데 형이 오필리아 시티로 떠난 거 아니에요?" (I got a weird message earlier. I think it is from Yujin hyung. Didn't hyung leave for Ophelia City before ?) I am the youngest of three. My eldest brother is Yujin. My second older brother is Yongchan.

My dads both looked a bit worried as they answered me in turns. Yongchan hyung currently wasn't home since he often visited his girlfriend when he was free. Yujin hyung left home in a dramatic way & I haven't heard from him in a while. So this random message really creeped me out.

"Yujin contacted you ? Do you know why ? How has he been ?",  Dad asked being a bit concerned. Papa looked annoyed, but didn't say anything yet. "모르겠어요, 아빠. 유진이 형은 잘 지내는 것 같아요. 메시지가 이상해 보여요..." (I have no idea, Dad. Yujin hyung seems to be doing okay. The messages just seem odd...)

I showed them the messages. I honestly am worried they'd get upset. Things with Yujin hyung aren't the greatest. Papa made a face as he looked at me. "Do you want to go, Jangjun ya ? Do you want to go to Ophelia City ?" I sighed. I absolutely have always wanted to go. "I would love to go, Papa... I just don't want you to feel like I am abandoning the family like Yujin hyung..."

Both of my fathers ruffled my hair & affectionately hugged me. They seemed to know how I was feeling immediately. "Papa & I know you're worried, Jangjun ya. There is no need to be. You aren't Yujin..."

I remained silent as we hugged. I didn't seem to have much of a choice...