Part 1, Chapter 2

"Saying Goodbye"

It was almost instantaneous. My fathers both agreed to send me to the capital city. Much to my shock, admiration, & horror. That message I may have gotten from my older brother, Yujin, it scared me a lot. Why now did he reach out ? Where was he ? Why did he specifically ask me to come to Ophelia City ?

I couldn't dwell on that for long. I packed as much as I could take with me , & left my room as it was. Leaving home for the first time to head to the capital was not easy. "긴장돼, 장주냐? 안색이 창백해 보여요." (Nervous, Jangjun ya ? You look pale.) My older brother Yongchan would be seeing me off after I stop to say goodbye to my friends. I nodded as I let out a sigh, "I am nervous, hyung. This all seems surreal. Am I not dreaming ?"

My brother laughed as he ruffled my hair. Yongchan was always perfect in my eyes. He always made time for me & was always there when I needed him. He was the stark opposite of Yujin hyung. "No, you are not dreaming. Besides this will be a great experience for you, Jangjun." His words were confident & full of pride. I could tell he was proud of me... I just hope he won't regret being so supportive later on. I haven't left yet, but I don't want to make my family disappointed.

"안 갈까요? 똑바로 있어달라고 하면 돼요, 용찬형?" (Should I not go ? I can ask to stay right, Yongchan hyung ?), I ask this very much wanting to avoid any goodbyes. I was worried my friends wouldn't take this news well. It always was a spectacle when anyone announced they'd be going to Ophelia City. "Breathe, Jangjun ya. I am sure your friends will understand. You can't give up now. Not when you've been dreaming of going ever since you could talk..."

He wasn't wrong. This was my dream. I have always dreamed of going to Ophelia City. To prove myself better than Yujin hyung... To prove to Dad & Papa that I will try my absolute best... To go after my dream with no regrets in my life...

I soon was alone with my friends. "You're leaving ? What about us ?", one of my friends asked very much upset. I could tell from their tone. They are angry. "I don't have much of a choice, guys. An opportunity like this won't come around again..."

This is when I was shoved as my friends glared at me. Their eyes holding what I took as betrayal & jealousy. I was getting my chance now. They couldn't just accept things for what they were. "선택의 여지가 없다고요? 항상 선택의 여지가 있어요, 장준아! 넌 그저 겁쟁이일 뿐이야! 친구에겐 정말 미안한 변명이네요..." (You don't have a choice ? There is always a choice, Jangjun ! You are just a coward !  What a sorry excuse for a friend...)  It hurt. Why would they say something like that to me ? Why does going after what I want make me a coward ?

I didn't want to argue anymore. It will only make things worse. So I mustered up the only thing I could say before walking out, "Goodbye..."