•the shadow•

"It can't... hurt him.. can it?"

Joe could not believe this is how she was starting her day

Joe could not believe this is how she was starting her day. I mean, she actually started her day with Steve farting in the car and almost killing her on the way to school, but this was barely a step down from that.

Lucas got the bright idea to dig through the trash to find Dart, because for whatever reason, he had decided Dart likes trash. Thank god, she hadn't picked the short straw. At least Max was here to watch the scene unfold with her and Mike. That made it more tolerable.

"This is so disgusting. Is this really necessary?" Max asked, watching from a safe distance away from the large dumpster.

"I have to agree, this is not your finest moment, Sinclair," Joe agreed.

"What the hell is going on?" Dustin asked, finally joining them around the backside of the school.

"About time," Joe rolled her eyes.

"What do you think? We're looking for Dart," Mike replied like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

An exploding trash bag came flying out of the dumpster, spilling its contents all over the pavement. Max pulled Joe out of the splash zone just in time.

"Jesus!" Dustin yelled, barely missing the flying trash.

Lucas jumped out of the dumpster right after the bag. It was surprisingly graceful in Joe's opinion.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up," Lucas sneered at Dustin, "After I drew the short straw. Real convenient."

"You stink," Max muttered, moving away from Lucas to stand next to Dustin.

Joe followed Max, holding her nose dramatically.

"Yeah, but he smelt that way before the dumpster diving," Joe whispered to the redhead, causing both of the girls to giggle

"Hi, Max," Dustin smiled awkwardly, interrupting the girl's conversation.

Joe couldn't help but roll her eyes. Even she could flirt with a girl better than Dustin could. I mean, not that she wanted to or anything like that, even if the girl was as pretty as Max. Pretty cool, not pretty. Joe wasn't supposed to think of other girl's in that way. She meant pretty cool.

"Hi," Max replied, disinterested and a little annoyed.

Joe smirked at this, feeling as if there was a competition for Max's attention, which she was winning by a long shot.

Max looked away quickly and awkwardly, causing Dustin to change the subject.

"Where's Will?"

"He'll be here," Mike replied to Dustin.

"Are you just gonna stand there?" Lucas asked, throwing Dustin a stick to poke at the trash with, "Or are you gonna help?"

Joe was thankful there was only three sticks, and that Max offered to take one so she didn't have to. She could practically gag at the thought of going through trash, especially old cafeteria food trash.