•back from the dead•

"Do you think I'm a monster?"

Joe felt the warm embrace of a white light

Joe felt the warm embrace of a white light. It was strangely comforting. She never wanted to leave. But suddenly, she was pulled back, consumed by darkness and heat.

One gasp of air to her lungs and her eyes flew open. She was alive again.

She shot straight up into the arms of Nancy Wheeler, who tried to calm her down by whispering soothing things to her, but honestly it didn't work. Joe pushed her away, trying to gain her footing like a newborn deer who hadn't learned how to walk yet.

She hadn't even noticed her friends who were staring at her, still behind Jonathan's arms. They were all frozen, just watching her now as she struggled. It was like she had forgotten how to walk. Someone else being in your body does that to you.

"Steve..." She mumbled, "Steve..."

"Steve isn't here, Joe," Nancy told her, a look of worry in her eyes.

"Steve!" Joe yelled now, backing away from Nancy.

She wanted her brother. He made her feel safe, and right now, she really didn't feel safe.

"Joe..."

Joe turned her head to see Max looking at her with both concern and relief evident on her face.

"I-I'm sorry, I can't be here right now," Joe said, "I need to go home."

Max frowned. Had she expected a huge and romantic moment when they reunited? Kinda, yeah. This was not what she thought it would be. She couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. Joe was finally herself again and all she wanted to do was leave.

Nancy stood up, walking slowly over to Joe, who had backed herself up into a corner. Tears slowly rolled down her sickly pale cheeks.

"Joe, come on, let's get you cleaned up," Nancy said calmly, trying not to freak her out even more than she already was.

"I want to go home, please," Joe begged, "Nance, please."

Nancy couldn't help, but think of how much she was like Steve sometimes. Joe almost sounded exactly like him when she called her that.

"You will, I swear, but let's get you out of those clothes, okay?" Nancy asked, finally being close enough that she could reach out and place a hand on Joe's shoulder.

Joe looked at her, her eyes wide and red from the crying. She gave a weak nod. Nancy gave her a small smile, taking her gently by the arm to guide her to the bathroom.

Joe walked in hesitantly, glancing around the bathroom. She had been here before... before what happened. It felt different now. Everything felt new and scary. She felt new and scary.

"I'll be right outside if you need anything, okay?" Nancy said.

Joe nodded, letting Nancy shut the door. She didn't bother locking it. She trusted Nancy to make sure she was left alone for the time being.