•the exorcism of joe harrington•

"It's your fault, Max! Your fault! Your fault!"

They had gotten to Hopper's cabin as soon as they could

They had gotten to Hopper's cabin as soon as they could. The space heaters from the last time they did this were still easily accessible at the Byers' household as well as at the cabin. Jonathan had carried Joe inside the house. Nancy and Will tied her to the chair and blindfolded her with a random cloth they had found.

She was slumped over in the chair, still completely knocked out. It was a waiting game at this point. They just had to wait for her to wake up.

In the mean time, Eleven sat in her room alone, trying to see if she could spy on other people who had been flayed, but she wasn't having much luck.

Even with the several photos she had splayed out on the carpeted floor, she was just seeing darkness surround her. There was no sign of life anywhere. The Mind Flayer didn't want her to see what him and the flayed were up to. He was smarter than she thought.

Max sat on the couch with Lucas, as Mike paced around the cabin. Her hand was by her neck, absentmindedly fiddling with the necklace Joe had gotten her.

"It can't be good for her to be in there for this long," Mike said.

"Mike, you need to relax," Max replied.

The redhead couldn't even believe that he was the one complaining right now and acting like his girlfriend was the one in danger. How could she have more of a level head than him when her girlfriend was basically about to have an exorcism done by space heaters?

"What if she gets brain damage or something?" Mike asked.

"Oh, shit. Is that, like, a real thing?" Lucas asked, glancing over at Max.

"No, it's not. He made it up," Max stated, "Mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. El is fine. We need to worry about Joe right now."

"Oh, and you do?" He fired back, "Your girlfriend is practically a lost cause at this point. We can still keep mine safe."

Max froze. How dare he say that to her?

"Mike, dude," Lucas shook his head in disappointment.

"You're a fucking asshole," Max hissed while trying to choke back the tears that she felt welling up in her eyes.

"Joe is going to be fine," Lucas reassured Max before turning his attention on Mike, "Have a little empathy, Mike. Joe is my friend, too, and I thought she was yours as well."

Mike went silent. He knew he shouldn't have said that, but he was tired of Max acting like she knew El better than he did. How could she know what was best for El when she didn't even know what was best for the girl she loved? In his opinion, it was all Max's fault, and he resented her for it. It was her fault that El broke up with him and it was her fault that Joe got flayed. Max should have been there for Joe, and she wasn't.