•punching mirrors•

"I'm fine, Max. I swear."

Joe ran into the bathroom

Joe ran into the bathroom. She could barely breathe. Was she queer? God damnit, this was bad. Really bad.

They'd all laugh at her. Her brother, her family, they'd shun her. There'd be whispers, stares, disapproval. She couldn't be gay.

She hunched over the old sink, turning on the faucet, desperate for water to somehow fix her. She splashed the cool water on her face, her makeup running slightly. She didn't feel any better.

"Fuck!" She screamed, punching the mirror, "Shit!"

She recoiled in pain. The mirror was cracked, and her bones felt just as broken. She looked down at her fist, her knuckles already bruising and slightly bleeding.

She heard footsteps outside the bathroom door. Joe scurried into the nearest stall, locking herself in there.

The door opened. Joe spotted a pair of Vans from underneath the stall. They were Max's. She remembered complimenting them earlier today.

Did Max really have to come in now? Right in the middle of Joe's crisis. Talk about bad timing.

"Hey, is there some one in here? The mirror out here is broken," Max called out into the mostly empty bathroom.

God, now she had to face her. Joe opened the stall, revealing herself to Max.

"Oh, hey!" Max smiled at the sight of her friend.

Max looked down, noticing almost instantly the wounds on Joe's hand.

"Oh my god! Did you hit the mirror?"

Joe was too embarrassed to respond, or even make eye contact for that matter. Her brown eyes avoided the red head's gaze, wanting nothing more than to be dead out of sheer embarrassment.

"Let me see."

Max pulled Joe's hand up to her eyes. She insisted that they run it under the water, despite Joe saying she was fine. Joe had trouble keeping her breath under control as Max held her hand under the cool water. It wasn't the most romantic thing in the world, but it made Joe feel something incredible.

"You need to go to the nurse," Max stated, wrapping Joe's hand up in the crappy school paper towels.
"I'm fine, Max. I swear," Joe replied.

Max wouldn't take no for an answer. She dragged Joe to the nurse, despite running late to catch a ride from her stepbrother, Billy Hargrove. He could kiss her ass for all she cared.

The nurse disinfected the wound and wrapped Joe's hand in proper gauze.

"Good as new," Max smiled, escorting Joe outside.

Max saw her brother standing at his car waiting for her arrival. His foot was tapping impatiently as he puffed on a cigarette, not really caring if he was blowing smoke in people's faces.

"Who's this, Maxine?" Billy smiled his disgusting fake smile, trying to be charming.

Joe totally fell under his spell. Max didn't understand how, he was hideous to her.

"Joanna Harrington," Joe smiled sweetly, holding out her non-damaged hand for him.

He swooped it up into his own hand, placing a disgusting kiss on it, causing Joe to giggle.

"I gotta go, Max. I'll see you later," Joe smiled, running away to catch up with her friends.
"Bye, Joanna," Billy waved, blowing a kiss to the dark haired girl, making Max jealous.

Joe grabbed her bike, riding home with the boys. Thinking about Max and her charming brother.