Equinox

He was my moon, and I his sun. Me bringing light to his darkness. And he adding life to mine. But the thing about the moon and the sun is that although they belong to the same sky they rarely coexist together. They share the sky and yet not at the same time. There was a time when I wished to call him mine but I know he is not my forever, nor am I his. I belong to day. And he belongs to night. Apart as if in two completely different worlds. And maybe that's how things are supposed to be. Maybe some people are only meant to stay for a little while. Just long enough to teach us that we are capable of being loved and loving in return. Whenever I'm here he's there and when I'm there he's gone again. Like the way the sun rises and sets day after day. A cycle in which it brings beauty to the world only to disappear into the darkness. And while I sit in the darkness I can't help but wonder if he lie awake at night thinking about me too. Or if I've crossed his mind at all. As he sits in the stillness of night surrounded by stars, do they remind him of me and what we were? Or are his thoughts consumed by more important things now? I think about that a lot. Replaying memories of us in my head. But it's been along time since I last saw him and I doubt I'd recognize him even if  I did. But still not a single day passes without his presence in my mind. I think about those moments we spent together again and again. Trying to salvage what I have left of him as he slowly slips from my grasp. What did his voice sound like? What did it feel like when he hugged me? Why had I fallen in love with his smile? I close my eyes and try to picture him but his image is unclear like trying to imagine a character in the first couple of chapters when you don't have all the details yet. I wish I payed more attention and yet I wanted to forget. So I give up and succumb to my struggled mind, opening the curtains to let in a bit of the moonlight. It reminds me of him and I smile to myself thinking maybe sometime as the moon continues its orbit he'll wait for the sun to rise and we can meet. And maybe just maybe if the time is right we will coexist  in the same sky, together, once again.