Chapter 13: Cry

I didn't have a nightmare

I didn't have a nightmare. I slept all night.

I wasn't scared to share a bed with her. I wasn't scared to touch and hold her.

My whole life, since it happened, i've hated physical touch, but with Nellie is so different.

It's so comforting and calm and okay. And i think, i think i really like it.

The door to the room bursts open and i stifle a sigh. I enjoyed the quiet, the calmness. The snow falling out the window with her in my arms.

She makes me feel so safe. She doesn't pressure me into anything at all, and that's what makes me feel okay.

"Good morning!" Arlo sings coming into the room. The rest of the group all groan and rub their eyes obviously still tired.

Arlo smiles goofily staring at Nellie and I.

"Nels, wake up." I rub her back softly.

She takes a sharp intake of breathe and i feel her eyelashes flutter against my neck as she opens her eyes.

She softly plays with the ends of my hair as they all stare at us.

Neither of us dare to move. I don't want to move.

"We have breakfast in an hour, so we'll meet you downstairs!" Arlo says before they all leave and everyone starts to get ready for the long day.

"How did you sleep?" Nellie asks.

"So good, you?"

"Same."

I feel cold as soon as she shuffles away from me and goes to her suitcase. She grabs her ski clothes before slipping into the bathroom.

I spend my time laying in bed alone, cold.

The door opens but Nellie doesn't step out, i can see her doing some type of skincare in the mirror.

"Hey Henry?" She calls.

"Yes, love?"

"Can you get my medicine bag from my suitcase?"

"Sure."

I get up and go to her suitcase and open the flap.

"The black bag?" I look at her.

She nods at me.

I pick it up by the handle and the lid pops open and all the contents fall out.

"Shit." We both say at the same time.

Nellie rushes over and tries to pick everything up, i try to help.

But i see all the things inside.

Needles, pumps, a bottle of insulin, wipes, a diabetes pamphlet, juice boxes, everything.