Chapter 26: I don't need you

I wake up alone in my bed

I wake up alone in my bed. Henry isn't here. But i can hear him. I can smell him. But he's not here.

I sit up, look around, it takes my body a moment to process. I haven't cried this much in a long time, i'm severely dehydrated.

My ears listen in, and i hear Henry, and what seems to be my friends.

"Why would she tell you, and keep this a secret from us." Eva says.

Tears instantly fill my eyes.

They are gonna hate me for not telling them. But i couldn't. The more people that knew, the more chance i had of it getting out. And i thought it was safe. And this is the reason i don't tell people.

I get up and wonder downstairs, pulling myself together. They can't see me vulnerable now.

Everyone looks at me, i go to Henry, sitting beside him and curling myself into him.

To my surprise, he pulls me into his lap, holding me close.

Nothing in his body language or voice tells me he's uncomfortable.

I softly lay my head on his shoulder and he lets out a breathless sigh.

It's silent in the room now.

I don't know how to start the conversation.

"Nellie?" Arlo says.

"Yeah?" I say, preparing for the hate filled words about to come from my friends.

"Are you okay?"

I startle. I wasn't expecting that.

"Uhm, yeah," I fake laugh.

I'm not very good at serious conversations that are about me, so i tend to laugh.

Henry holds me close, softly caressing me, letting me know he's here.

"Why didn't you tell us Nellie?" Colin says.

"I-uhm," A tear slips out my eye, falling onto Henry's shoulder and i let out another awkward laugh.

"I think people would view me differently, or that people would judge me for not being normal, and my biggest fear, was that it would get out. But i guess, it happened anyway."

"But here's nothing wrong with you, Nellie." Eva says.

I raise my head, looking at Henry. He kisses my temple.

"I think i'm learning that," I breathe out, "I'm sorry i didn't tell you guys, i'm sorry i never told you."

"We understand, it's okay." Hayden says.

I stand up, and Arlo is first to tackle me into a hug.

"We aren't mad," He whispers, before jumping on top of Henry and they begin play fighting.