𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

"We are back!" Madi opened the door to see Nick and Sarah where she had left them. "Hey, Madi! How was swimming class?!"

"Fun and now look!" she pointed to her wet hair. "Now I have to take a shower!" She rushed upstairs as Matt and Chris finally walked in.

"How was swimming class?" Nick asked recreating Sarah's tone. "I am so tired," Chris threw himself on the couch, accidentally leaning on Sarah. She didn't mind.

"We brought food," Matt sat down when Madi rushed downstairs. "I forgot about my chicken nuggets."

"They are in the car," Matt mumbled.

"Chris. Sarah. You should go get the food," Nick said as everyone turned to him.

"Why us?"

"Just do it!" Nick tolled his eyes as both teens got up, and walked out. "Chris... I want to talk to you. Later of course,"

When Chris turned to see her, it was like she saw freshman Sarah standing there. She looked so shy. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am fine! I wanna talk to you," She smiled as he nodded. "Of course... After lunch?" 

"Yes, sounds perfect," 

___

"And that is why I think Chick-fil-A is the best food place," Madi said as she finished her milkshake. 

"You didn't say anything you just ate," Matt explained as she nodded. "Exactly," They all laughed. 

"Didnt you want to shower?" Nick asked as she nodded standing up and heading upstairs. "Sarah! Can you do my hair when I finish?" She screamed from the top of the stairs. 

"Yes, I will Madi!" 

"Yay!"

They all heard a couple of doors slam before she screamed again. "Nick the music!"

She liked showering with music on but she never knew how to do it. "Be right back," Nick then widened his eyes at Matt signaling him to go too. "Oh, and I am... gonna help Nick?" Not even Matt believed his words as he rushed upstairs after Nick. 

Chris and Sarah were already sitting next to each other, as she turned to him. "So... What did you want to talk about," Chris asked noticing how she seemed nervous. 

"About us," She chuckled as he blushed. 
Could she possibly be in love with him? Just like he has been all these years. "Oh sure"

"Um... Do you wanna be friends again?" She mumbled as he looked taken aback. " I thought we already were," He said turning his whole body towards her, their knees touching. 

"Yeah... But I wanted to make sure. I don't wanna upset you again," She brought up her legs, resting her head on her knees. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know... I don't wanna do anything wrong this time around," Every sentence she spoke sounded quieter and made Chris feel even worse. "You never did anything wrong," 

"Chris last time we talked, before all this, I could have sworn I did," She mumbled as he thought back to that day. When she stormed into his room and demanded for him to tell her what was wrong, now she seemed so scared. He never knew he had that effect on her. 

"No... And I am sorry. And of course, I would love for us to be friends again," Chris said opening his arms up for a hug, she quickly hugged him back. 

"I missed you," She admitted, her voice trembling in the process. He rested his head on hers and pulled her in tighter. "I missed you more,"

This all felt amazing for Chris, but something was still bugging her. 
Something was off.

As they pulled apart she looked at his blue eyes and knew.
"Chris... Our fallout changed me as a person. You genuinely ripped my heart out and I don't think you will ever understand that," Sarah's eyes clouded as she felt the tears stream down. 

Chris wiped the tears, "I am so sorry Marie," 
"Can you tell me," She breathed out.

He was still holding onto her face as he gave her a confused look.
"Tell you what?" She pulled his hands away suddenly getting even more upset.

"What I did wrong last year,"

"Sarah... Let that go," He stood up, dusting off his clothes, getting uncomfortable. "No. I can't be your friend again without knowing," She stood up as well, not wanting him to change the conversation. 

"I am not telling you, Sarah," 

He feared that telling her he was in love with her would ruin their friendship even more. 
"Chris, please."

"I... just can't," He mumbled finally turning to her. 

"What I could have done for you to have hated me as much as you did?" She questioned running her hands through her hair.

"I never hated you,"

"Then tell me," She stood close to him, as he looked down at her lips, and then back at her eyes. 
"I can't Sarah. I am sorry,"

"Then... I can't be your friend," She sounded like she wasn't sure of what she was saying. "What why?"

"Because you can't be honest Chris. I just need you to tell me,"

"Why is it so important?" He threw his hands around as she stepped back. 

"I need to know the reason why I laid awake all those nights and cried endless hours for the boy who was supposed to be my best friend, Chris." She sounded hurt and her eyes grew wider. 

"You will never know Sarah," He looked away from her eyes, as she scoffed. 
"Then we aren't friends," She whispered as he shrugged. 

She got all her things and left as fast as she appeared back in his life.

If he survived a whole year without her... He could do it again. 

────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

yeah. 

i am sad