ONE

Desire in love is not lust. It is the feeling that you live for someone.

The Piquant press was heaved up with employees' manuscripts folding , flipping and passing. The far wall has a large fireplace and mantle dominating the center, with bookshelves lining it on either side. It was winter season, after all.

You leaned way back in the chair and cranked your neck too focused on the screen. It was 6pm already and you were frantically finishing the last of your work. Suddenly a cup of hot mocha was thrust into your field of vision. Your eyeballs made its way to the person handing the cup.

" Thanks, Sarah. I was much in need of this. " it was your colleague of yours, who's also one of your close friends now. She has been that sweet friend who was always ready to help you with work. When you had entered this building for the first time, she was the one who guided you in every path. And now you're here promoted from an intern to a junior editor.

" Are you done with the article yet ? " she asked with a smile settling on the swivel next to you. Her eyes glued to the laptop screen.

" Almost done. Ah. I've been working on this for a real long time now. " you prompted.

" Don't worry , bae. It's gonna be a banger once it's publish. I'm pretty sure Mr. Kim would approve this with lots of appreciation. " she cheered encouraging you. You lips parted a sigh.

Appreciation from that cranky boss of yours ? Never. The best compliment he'd ever say is- ' Keep going better. '

Oh well. It's been a few months since you've joined the Piquant press here in Minnesota, US. Away from your hometown and your family. It was hard to settle here at first but eventually the pressure of work as a newbie suppressed you from missing your home but nevertheless at times the memories remencised. Talking about the employees here , everyone is hard working and self sustaining in their field. And why wouldn't they be ? When the boss aka the Editor-in-Chief , one and only who ran this company was hard working himself. He would recheck all the articles, stories and news before it is published under the company. Not a single mistake would be seen in the name of Piquant press. One of the reasons why the company was the leading community over the world. But this doesn't justify his grumpy attitude. The one whose eyes and mind start and ends with books , books and books. But who cared ? You were just here for following your passion as an author and a certified editor. You have always wanted this. And the job paid you well to settle in US. Apart from all these , you loved working here , being surrounded by such positive thoughts, and positive people radiating good vibes which penetrated in the writings itself.

You fingers flickered on the keyboard for the last text and you were done with your article. Your arms stretched in a relief, and the muscles relaxed. You gathered the papers which was a draft of what you typed on the computer. You got up with those papers.

" I'll have Mr. Kim to go through it. " you said to Sarah before heading towards his cabin. Your hand knocked his cabin door. In a second or two you got the response from inside.

" come in. "

You took a deep breath before twisting the door knob and pushing the door to make your way inside. You were surely nervous. You have been working on this script for a month now. And you really wished he approved of this as a fine piece of work and get it published. You saw him all settled on his swivel chair typing something on his laptop. His eyes never leaving the laptop screen indicating his concentration. His black blazer rested on his chair. His white shirt was rolled up till his elbow while the two of his shirt buttons were left open.

" Greetings, Mr. Kim. " you bowed slightly before making a few steps towards his front table.

" What brings you here , Ms. Faye. " he asked without averting his eyes from the screen. His voice was calm yet stern.