Till Death Do Us Part

A 95-year-old Katsuki Midoriya woke up warm, just like any day. His husband, Izuku Midoriya still lay asleep on his chest. He admired the mop of now grey hair, lifting a shaky and slow hand to run through the knotted mess. Even after all these years, waking up to Izuku being the first sight in his eyes always made him feel warm. Today was their 70th wedding anniversary, the thought floated into Katsuki’s head when Izuku started stirring under him.

Izuku slowly lifted his head up, smiling softly as he gazed upon his husband. They had changed so much over the years, old skin covered in wrinkles and patches along with the countless scars they had gathered in their careers. Nevertheless, Izuku was still beautiful to Katsuki. He didn’t think they would make it to this day, to be able to grow old and grey together. It had taken a lot to get here, he sometimes wondered if Izuku being injured so badly was a result of his prayers to be able to have this life, because he doubted if they had remained heroes at the time both of them would be standing right now.

“Morning Zuku,” Katsuki mumbled, lifting himself up slightly to get a better view of him. Izuku mumbled it back, still half asleep. Katsuki stayed with him for a while, there was no need to get up. Megumi, their daughter, had moved out the year before. Inko had unfortunately passed years ago, the spare room still held all of her stuff but hadn’t been touched. Their house was empty, but it also meant no one was waiting for them. They could lay in bed all day if they wanted to, so they did.

Eventually, around two in the afternoon, Katsuki heard Izuku’s stomach growl. They both huffed out laughs. Katsuki carried him to the kitchen. Izuku was having a bad week, his prostheses were causing pain, but they had an appointment with his prosthetist next week to see what the issue was so for now he let Katsuki carry him about. Neither minded, both were more than happy to be as close as possible to each other.

Katsuki placed Izuku on the couch, putting on the news before moving to the kitchen. Pancakes normally filled Izuku up and they were easy to make, so he set about making enough for the both of them. It didn’t take long before he was planting himself next to Izuku on the couch.

“Do you remember that kid that said he was better than you when we did that visit to Aldera?” Izuku asked as Katsuki cut up his pancakes. Katsuki nodded, he remembered. The brat had a similar quirk to Katsuki, when he debuted there was a running joke he was either Katsuki’s kid or long-lost brother. It wasn’t long after his debut that Izuku got injured and they moved away, so he never heard much about what came of the boy.

“He died, his funeral was today apparently,” Izuku nodded to the TV, it wasn’t currently playing but the story was running across the bottom of the screen, “I wish we got to see him, he thanked us in his retirement speech for the visit, apparently it made him super happy to meet his favourite hero, Dynamight,” Katstuki huffed, going to lift another piece of pancake to Izuku’s lips but was stopped when Izuku looked at him with tears in his eyes.

“I think I’m gonna die, Kacchan.” Izuku’s words made Katsuki’s heart drop. But he understood them after a moment. There had been a weird feeling lingering in the pit of Katsuki’s stomach for a while. He would first describe it as the feeling of contentment. He was old and happy living with the love of his life, free to do whatever he wanted even if that meant sleeping until too late into the day to do anything but watch an old movie with his husband cuddled into him. But that wasn’t the feeling, it felt different. It wasn’t negative, not really, but he couldn’t place it until Izuku said it.

When Inko passed, she had told them she felt that it was coming for a while, that she was going to be at peace and that she was ready. She had been making preparations for a while before that day, Katsuki always wondered how she knew but now, he understood.

“I don’t want to leave you alone, I know it’s till death do us part but what if I don’t want to part ever?” Izuku’s lip trembled, his tears finally spilling and Katsuki was quick to move the plate of pancakes out of his lap and onto the coffee table so he could lift Izuku into his lap instead.