XIII

~The Blood of Old Valyria~

Chapter XIII

At dawn the next day, two dragons appeared over King's Landing, one amethyst-colored, the other amber. They flew over the capital and landed near the Dragon Pit, where they were met by dragon watchers.

Lucerius took quick, sweeping steps toward the bedroom of his unsuspecting, peacefully sleeping older sister. He startled her maid, nearly knocking her to the ground in his haste. Without ceremony, Lucerius swung the door to the room open. The door hit the wall and that was enough to awaken Dayraena. When she saw her brother, she realized with a mind that had not yet fully awakened that he had brought troubling news.

Reyena rolled onto her back and raised herself up, trying to clear the sleepy veil.

"They are here," Lucerius said.

And those words finally woke Dayraena. She shifted her gaze to the window, where it was getting light, and fell back onto the pillows, resting her face in the palms of her hands.

"Did they deliberately fly in so early to put the whole castle on edge?" The woman asked sullenly, pulling back the blanket. Resentment was rising inside her. Her gaze became grim and frightening, not boding well.

Lucerius knew that look. And knew very well to start worrying.

"Please be patient and don't take it out on them," the young man said calmly and walked over to his sister, peering into the sullen face. Her multicolored eyes, where a dangerous fire burned, stared at Lucerius.

"I'll try," Dayraena snorted mirthlessly and called Elewett, ordering the maid to hand her a dress. Lucerius, with one last concerned look at his sister, went to his wife and daughter.

Dayraena was dressed in a black dress with a high neck and puffed sleeves, and the image of a grieving woman was completed by a hairnet of the same color as the outfit, adorned with small pearls. This time Reyena would be grieving for real and for herself, and more specifically for her emotional state, which would definitely be shaken today.

"May all the gods help me to survive this day," Dayraena whispered, closing her eyes and folding her hands in a prayerful gesture.

An agitated and disheveled Rhaenyra appeared on the threshold of the room. Dayraena glanced at her questioningly, noticing the hastily put on robe slipping off the princess's shoulder.

"Why the hell did your kinfolk disturb almost the entire Maygor fortress?" Rhaenyra exclaimed, not noticing the stunned look of the maid, who clearly did not expect to hear profanity from the mouth of a well-bred lady.

"Leave us alone, Elewett," Dayraena said, gesturing for the princess to come in. It was interesting to hear what her kin had done in just a few minutes.