V

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘖𝘭𝘥 𝘝𝘢𝘭𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘢Chapter Vˡᵒᵛᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵈᵘᵗʸ

Chapter V
ˡᵒᵛᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵈᵘᵗʸ

   Rhaenyra twisted the rings on her fingers nervously. Her footsteps echoed in the corridor of the Red Keep, the coolness of which wrapped her arms in the light slit sleeves. Heart beating restlessly in her chest, Rhaenyra realized what a difficult conversation she was about to have. The decision she had made could already be considered a feat, the first step towards her goal. And, it would seem, it was just a matter of talking. However, the person with whom the princess was going to talk would probably not be happy to hear the news.

    Stepping out into the training courtyard, the sun hit her eyes. Her silver hair, which Rhaenyra had gotten into the habit of curling and styling in the Valyrian manner that she had never noticed before, shone in the bright rays. The girl walked down the steps and spotted Laenor fighting with an unfamiliar man. Rhaenyra drew more air into her chest.

    "My dear consort," she called to Velarion.

    The man fended off the blow one last time and stepped out of the duel, shaking his opponent's hand. Rhaenyra made no move to step into the mud and soil her shoes, remaining standing on the steps and waiting for Laenor to approach her. The young people had spent quite a bit of time together after the wedding, however there were days when they only met in the morning and evening. Today was supposed to be such a day, however something had gone wrong and instead of heading to Alicent's now, Rhaenyra was going to have a serious talk with her husband.

    "Rhaenyra!" smiled Laenor and walked over to the princess. "What brings you here?"

    The girl licked her lips and glanced around at those present in the courtyard. The conversation was a very intimate one, so it was worth their privacy.

    "We need to talk. In private," she muttered softly. The step had been taken, now it would be necessary to go to the last.

    Laenor marveled at such secrecy. What could have so alarmed his cousin?

    "Can't we do this later? I'm practicing now."

    "No, Laenor," Rhaenyra said gravely, shaking her head. "This matter is urgent," the princess realized that if she postponed this conversation to another day, she might not feel as determined as she did now.

    Laenor sighed, clearly reluctant to leave the training field. However, since his wife was so insistent on talking, he shouldn't keep her waiting. Leaving his weapon behind, he followed his wife into the chambers. They walked there in silence, tension in the air between them. Laenor tried to think of possible topics for the serious conversation Rhaenyra was so eager to have, but all the options seemed unimportant.

    There was one, however...

    Letting Laenor into her room, Rhaenyra closed the door behind her and leaned her back against it, sighing and preparing herself for the words she was about to utter. It was sad that such a topic would be brought up in their marriage, other married couples must have it differently, naturally.