III

~The Blood of Old Valyria ~
Chapter III

"Lucerius of the house of Gelarion and his lady wife Dayra! And also the beautiful Lady Dayraena and Lady Meireya!"

The Gelarion couple entered the decorated hall, where music was playing and most of the guests had already taken their seats. The Gelarions marched to the royal table to congratulate the princess on her engagement. Dayraena wore a midnight blue silk gown with open shoulders and a corset embroidered with white threads. A silver necklace with sapphires adorned the beautiful white marble neck. Whispers were heard in the hall, both admiring and envious. The men gazed at Lady Gelarion with lust and desire, some trying to hide it, and some unashamedly contemplating the figure of Dayraena. The female half of the hall looked at the white-haired woman with mostly displeasure, but there were also those who admired the beauty of Raena.

Dayraena paid no attention to such close attention to her person and quietly followed her brother to the king and princess. In her hands she held a small box, a gift for Rhaenyra. Lucerius congratulated the princess on behalf of the whole family and stepped aside, allowing Dayraena to come forward.

"Your Highness, I wish you a happy marriage and a warm relationship with your husband," Raena held out the box in Rhaenyra's hand. "Accept my humble gift. This ring carries a particle of Valyrian magic in it."

The princess rose and accepted the gift gratefully. But she did not open the box immediately, deciding to torture herself. If this gift was from Dayraena, then it had value and was special. The woman put a piece of her soul into every gift she gave. She rarely gave gifts to anyone.

Rhaenyra nodded to Dayraena, showing her where to sit. She was given a seat next to the king's right hand. All the other Gelarions sat at another table. Yes, it looked strange, but Dayraena didn't care one bit what anyone thought of their family. There were enough rumors around them as it was.

Soon after the Gelarions appeared, the Velarion couple entered the hall with their heads held high and looking serious. People rose from their seats and applauded, welcoming Corlis and Rhaenys and their children. All three Valyrian houses gathered in this hall today. Dayraena had never been a fan of lavish balls and noisy evenings. She preferred to be alone, or in the company of an intelligent and interesting person. But tonight Dayraena was happy to be present at the feast, for it was her "daughter's" engagement. She sincerely wished Rheynyra's marriage to be a happy one, in spite of Laenor's tastes.

The woman glanced around the royal table and realized there was someone missing. The Queen. Alicent was nowhere to be seen, and that surprised Dayraena. How could the queen be late for the engagement of the king's daughter? Something had obviously happened. Something bad.

As the Velarions took their seats at the royal table and the lords and ladies began to sink into their chairs as well, another man entered the hall, causing the hall to fall into a tense silence...

He saw her as soon as he entered the hall. It was hard not to notice such a woman. Only a blind man wouldn't notice her! Everyone else and even Rhaenyra, nicknamed the Realms Delight not only for her intelligence but also for her beauty, paled beside the silver-haired nymph. Daemon considered the aristocratic and graceful features of her face, but nothing was more memorable than her eyes. Mesmerizing, magical, even frightening.

He had no interest in the people staring at him and the directed glances of Viserys and Rhaenyra. Damon didn't care about anyone. All he could see now was a pretty face and differently colored eyes. The prince knew very little about this woman. He had never had much interest in the noble houses of Westeros. Everyone was well aware that the dragon prince prefers whores, which swarm upon him like flies upon honey whenever he appeared in Flea Bottom. And who of the noble ladies, who preserve their innocence for future husbands, would willingly give herself to a vicious prince? Such a girl would be considered insane.