VII

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘖𝘭𝘥 𝘝𝘢𝘭𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘢Chapter VIIᵗʰᵉ ᵈᵃʳᵏ ᵃʳᵗˢ

Chapter VII
ᵗʰᵉ ᵈᵃʳᵏ ᵃʳᵗˢ

"Beware, dragonlady, the black raven will take you with him, clinging to your shoulders. It's your choice whether to show it your power or hide it," the otherworldly voice filled the space around her. The female and male voices seemed to merge into one. Light flashed, torches lit alternately on the walls of black stone, as if smelted by dragon flames, allowing Dayraena to see where she was. It was small, square, empty room with a single narrow window, beyond which could be seen huts of the same black stone with multicolored lights blazing in their windows.

    "Who are you?" dared Gelarion to ask, looking around, hoping to see those who spoke to her, who came to her in dreams, disturbing and leaving her to ponder the strange words. "Why are you telling me all this?"

    "Clever child," came a woman's voice near her ear. Dayraena flinched, but saw no one.

    "Curious child," a male baritone murmured at the other ear, but its owner did not appear out of the darkness. It seemed to Raena that they were quite close, breathing down her back, looking at her, scrutinizing her, studying her. Was it pleasant? Of course not.

    "Listen to our words, remember the crow, do not forget the other dreams," the invisible woman was saying. It was as if she was walking around Dayraena, her voice heard from one side and the next second already from the other. Gelarion felt a pang of heat, and suddenly there was a dragon roar that made her wake up.

    Dayraena awoke from another dream, and gasped, not expecting to see Egarax's muzzle in front of her. Was the roar real? Shaking her head and looking around, the woman inhaled nervously. She did not realize where she was. There were only fields and lonely trees around, and the night that had fallen on the land made it rather eerie. How had she ended up here? Had she climbed onto a dragon in her sleep and flown off on her own? If so, next time she should ask to be chained to the bed.

    In the vast expanse of the night field, the grass sways in the strong wind, creating waves of green ripples that float smoothly on the ground like a magical sea. The night sky above this field is studded with countless stars that sparkle with sparks of light like precious gems on black velvet. The moon, like a silver locket, glows with its cold radiance, illuminating the clearing with a mysterious light.

    Dayraena stood in the middle of the field, realizing she was lost. Anxiety fluttered in her heart as everything that was happening and surrounding her filled her with vague premonitions. She was searching for an answer to an unknown question, in the vast world around her, and fear was slowly eating away at Dayraena's mind.

    The complete lack of understanding of where she was made the woman worry and look around helplessly, hoping to see something familiar, but in vain. Unknown is always the most frightening of all. Her bare feet were blown around by the wind walking across the expanse and getting under her nightdress and robe. This is not a good thing. To be left somewhere completely alone in a nightie, not even a dress. The only thing that was reassuring was that Egarax's shadow was covering her. If she was to meet anyone here, the dragon would protect her.