VI

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘖𝘭𝘥 𝘝𝘢𝘭𝘺𝘳𝘪𝘢Chapter VIᵐᵒᵗʰᵉʳʰᵒᵒᵈ

Chapter VI
ᵐᵒᵗʰᵉʳʰᵒᵒᵈ

    Dayraena was trying to sleep when she heard the soft sound of a door closing and cautious footsteps. Frowning, the woman listened. Who was this sudden nocturnal visitor? She raised herself on her elbows and looked toward the entrance to the room, where a white, short-cropped haired head soon appeared. It was hard not to recognize the intruder. Creeping over to the bed, she snuck under the covers, and Raena deliberately spread her arms, preparing to catch someone in a hug. Mayrea's head peeked out from under the blanket and was immediately caught in a vise. She twitched, mewling unhappily, but soon gave in, hugging her sister back.

    They used to do this when they were younger.

    "Well hello, little dragon," was Mayrea's favorite childhood nickname. Only Dayraena, her favorite older sister who always surrounded her with care, called her that. "Did you miss my warm embrace?" she answered with a nod of her head. Releasing Rhea and returning her hands to the blanket, the woman looked at the younger Gelarion. She was staring at her, unblinking, her gaze wandering thoughtfully over her face, making it seem as if something was bothering the girl.

    "Yeah, missed you," the girl whispered, squeezing against her sister. Dayraena, amazed at such a reshaped flush of tenderness from the belligerent Mayrea, frowned, then covered the hand that lay on her stomach with sister's, stroking her fingers almost weightlessly.

    "What's wrong, dear?" the woman asked cautiously.

    Mayrea shook her head, closing her eyes.

    "Nothing, I really just missed you. Missed our long and heart-to-heart conversations..." she said, rolling over onto her back and looking towards the balcony where the sounds of crickets were coming from. "Talking to Saerea today, I realized how fleeting time is. It seemed like a short time ago I bought her out of a brothel, and now she occupies as much space in my heart as you do," Dayraena didn't interrupt her sister, realizing she hadn't finished her little monologue. "Then I suddenly thought... What a path you and I have traveled. A thorny and unpredictable one, almost a dozen years long. And now here we are."

    "We are failed daughters," Dayraena snorted, kissing Rhea on the temple. Her words were very true, and their mother Veiserra would certainly agree with them if she were alive. But when she was, she had never forgotten to remind the girls of that.

    "That's right. Lucky for mother, she had Dayra," Mayrea sat up in bed and turned to her older sister, hugging the knees. "I sometimes wonder how our lives would have turned out if we had been born with those strange things between our legs," the girl's face creased.