VI

~The Blood of Old Valyria ~
Chapter VI

At noon, Daeron arrived at the Red Keep. Rhaena learned of his arrival from Rhaenyra. The worried princess burst into the room and slammed the door behind her, catching the dazed look in her multi-colored eyes.

"Rhaena, there..." The princess spoke, stepping closer to the woman sitting at the table. In front of Dayraena lay an open, thick, shabby book. "Your husband has arrived"

The book slammed shut abruptly. Rhaenyra glanced at the title in time. "Deadly Curses." The princess didn't pay much attention to it, knowing that Dayraena liked to study everything she could get her hands on. The woman rose from her chair. Her face was paled, her gaze serious and even frightening. Rhaenyra had seen that look before. Though Dayraena had never told her about her married life, the princess had begun to understand as she grew older why the woman's gaze grew cold at every mention of Dayron. Rhaenyra never asked Raena to tell her about what her husband did to her, because she knew she would not answer. Gelarion tried to keep everything to herself. Dayraena never fully opened up to anyone. Not even Meireya, Dayra, and Lucerius knew everything that went on within the walls of the Castle of the Flaming Dragon.

"Thank you for letting me know. I would like to talk to you... But later," Raena headed for the door, intending to go and greet Dayron. The woman noted an unusual calmness in her soul. She wasn't angry, she wasn't annoyed. These were the emotions that usually accompanied every encounter with her husband, but for some reason she felt none of them now. The woman left the room, but froze, as if remembering something. She glanced back into the chambers. Rhaenyra continued to stand in the same place. "Please have the Hand give Dayron a room away from mine."

The princess nodded and Rhaena left.

The woman took her time heading toward the courtyard where Dayron must now be. Dayraena found an unusual pandemonium at the exit to the courtyard. What are all these people doing here? What are they looking at? And the realization came quickly. Dayron. Of course! He came to King's Landing for the first time since he lost the ability to walk. Lords and ladies and servants could not refuse to watch over the crippled man. Given that Dayron had lost his status as Lord of Fire Island-he was no longer an honored guest. Accordingly, the lords' respect for him was not to be expected. Dayraena was vaguely aware of the purpose of her husband's visit. She knew that he was going to watch her closely. Or rather, not him, but his assistants. He has a couple of loyal men, though, Raena didn't understand how Dayron had earned their loyalty. Her spouse must have some other purpose...

Suddenly someone grabbed Dayraena by the arm. She turned around. Meireya was standing beside her, also looking at Dayron, who was being carried in a chair across the grounds. Lucerius and Dayra also came and stood behind Dayraena. The Gelarions climbed out of the crowd and came down to meet Dayron, who had been placed on the ground by the servants. He looked sickly: sweat stood out on his forehead, his skin white, and bruises under his eyes. As she stepped closer to greet her husband properly, Dayraena met the tired look in her red eyes.

"My husband, it is good to see you," Dayraena bowed. The rest of the Gelarions nodded hello to their kinsman, stretching their lips in smiles. But they were not real. There was hatred behind each of them.

"My lady wife, you have missed me, I hope?" A gruff, masculine voice called out. Dayron straightened proudly, feeling the stares of those gathered. Some were indifferent, others mocking. Dayraena could see how uncomfortable he was, watching his running eyes through the crowd. What had he come for, if he was willing to endure such humiliation?

"Of course I did, not a day went by without thinking of you," Dayraena replied with a sweet smile, but her eyes remained cold. "Was it a hard road? Are you tired?"