VII

~The Blood of Old Valyria ~
Chapter VII

"Your Grace, come to your senses, please," Dayraena already pleaded, beginning to feel utterly helpless. Rhaena was not surprised by Rhaenyra's stubbornness, but Viserys astonished her. He stood his ground and would not listen to Lady Gelarion, even though she had good things to say. "You'll do yourself a great disservice if you attend the tournament."

"You are not a maester, Dayraena, and they allowed me to be there"

"The only reason they allowed it was because they couldn't contradict you," Dayraena crossed her arms across her chest and looked gloomily at Viserys. They had been sitting in chairs opposite each other for a quarter of an hour talking about the king's health. Though it was hardly a conversation. Dayraena tried to persuade Viserys to stay in the castle until his final recovery, while the king himself wished to show himself to the people and show that he was in good health. "Your Grace, neither you nor the people will be better off if you lie down the very next day with fever and weakness."

Perhaps Dayraena's tone might have been a little harsh, since no one spoke to a sovereign that way, but the woman was genuinely concerned for Viserys' health and could not allow him to leave the red fortress.

There was doubt in the king's eyes, and he looked away and now stared at the model of Valyria, thinking deeply about something.

"All right," he said suddenly, surprising and satisfying Raena with his answer. She had thought it would take another hour to reason with him, because Viserys liked to stand his ground. It was especially difficult to change his mind when he had already made up his mind, as in this case. But now it was surprisingly easy. "... Rhaenyra... How is she?"

A smile touched the woman's lips. So that was the reason for that answer. And Dayraena thought she had good enough persuasion skills...

"She... worries about you, though she tries not to show it. You know that trait of hers."

"She learned it from Daemon," Viserys grinned when he heard the last of her words. "He doesn't like to express emotion, either."

Dayraena smiled slightly. She remembered every conversation she and the prince had and realized that he was indeed stingy with emotion. For the most part his face kept an expression of interest, but he showed no overt and vivid emotion, allowing himself short and repetitive chuckles.

"He never once spoke to me after..." Viserys began to talk about what was troubling him, but he stopped himself abruptly. Of course he had no one to complain to and ask for advice from, but he doubted that Dayraena was a good conversationalist either, one might say, of a personal nature.

Rhaena noticed how shy Viserys was and realized that he was seriously considering something, weighing the pros and cons. Lady Gelarion and the king had a good relationship, close to friendly, but never crossing that line. Viserys respected Dayraena and was grateful to her for trying to save Aemma during childbirth and, afterwards, for helping Rhaenyra endure the loss of her mother. Gelarion had done much for him, now she had eased his ailment altogether.

Viserys smiled weakly.

"Can you speak to Rhaenyra about..."

"No," the woman beat the king to it, knowing what he would ask next. "I cannot do that. She is your daughter, not mine, though I love her with all my heart. You must tell her yourself of your condition and the reasons for keeping this affliction from her."

There was a tense silence.

Dayraena knew that Viserys sometimes needed a little nudge to take a step toward his daughter. As a family man, he didn't know much about talking to his own child, but it was necessary. Necessary for a strong relationship in the family, for trust. And Viserys had to make the first move, and then Rhaenyra could be pushed as well.