V

~The Blood of Old Valyria ~
Chapter V

Music filled the hall. Wine of all kinds was flowing, and the tables were crackling with the number of viands. The walls shook with the hum of voices filling the great hall. Dayraena boredly glanced at the dancing lords and ladies. She held a glass of wine in one hand and propped her head up with the other. Dayraena caught multiple and meaningful glances, some young men even came up and tried to talk to the woman, but she had no time for the annoying sons of lords. Thoughts buzzed in her head, keeping her awake. Dayron's arrival, Alicent and Rhaenyra's quarrel, the king's illness... Everything had to be dealt with. The friendship of the princess and queen had to be saved, or else it was frightening to imagine what might happen. A war for the throne, multiple deaths and the death of either Alicent or Rhaenyra. Yes, Dayraena was well aware of what kind of catastrophe would ensue after Viserys' death if the girls did not reconcile. Alicent and her supporters would put her eldest son on the throne, and Rhaenyra would fight for herself and her future children, trying to prove that she was the true queen and she should take the throne.

Such thoughts did not please Dayraena at all and she tried to shrug them off, but it did not work out well. The quarrel between the princess and the queen was replaced by thoughts of Dayron. And that was even worse. To kill her spouse, Dayraena needed to find a suitable spell, and the book Daemon had found would help her do it. Later, when the spell was found, Raena would proceed to carry out the death sentence for Dayron.

At least another hour passed when the woman became truly bored. Lucerius and Dayra were chatting with the lords and ladies, and Meireya was nowhere to be seen. Apparently she had decided not to attend the feast tonight. The elder Gelarion continued to sit and stare at everyone with a hazy look. The drink of the dornish wine caused all thoughts to recede into the background. She watched the couples circling the hall, the people clapping and stomping to the beat of the music. Everything was already blurring before her eyes when someone landed imposingly on a chair nearby. Dayraena turned her impassive gaze to the unexpected guest. It was Jason Lannister... Or was it Tyland? The silver-haired girl always got them mixed up. Dayraena raised an eyebrow questioningly, not that she cared much for the pompous lion. But what kind of lion was that? A pathetic excuse for a...

"We've never met, Lady Dayraena, but I've heard a good deal about you. My name is Tyland Lannister," the man smiled as he gazed upon the woman, who should have been charmed by his smile, but it was not a happy one. Disgust. He was met with a cold, completely disinterested look, but Tyland apparently wasn't repulsed by it.

For the next half hour, Dayraena listened (or rather, pretended to listen) to Tyland's sweet speeches. Later, apparently finally brazen, he tried to ask Raena about personal matters, but received only a cold stare and a brief answer that gave no exact information.

"May I ask you to dance?" the man's large palm was extended toward Raena.

"I'm afraid I must disappoint you. I have no desire to dance with you," Dayraena did not want to feel the man's hands on her. I don't care what people think. I don't care if they think she's rude. But she'd rather burn in dragon fire than dance around with this man and listen to him talk softly. She has heard of Tyland and his brother from Rhaenyra. It didn't work out with the princess, and now he must be trying his luck with Dayraena. A married woman. He thinks he's got a point! Fool. A naive fool who thinks his looks, wealth and status make everyone swoon in front of him.

"Have I done something to offend you?"

"Qogralbar hen," Dayraena cursed softly in Valyrian, her eyes closed in suppression. Why doesn't he let it go?