Chapter 17

"Are you really stealing my underwear?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was so nice to sleep on good quality mattresses. The blankets were new and soft, the pillows still had their fluff. I was curled up against David and Dwayne. Paul was boxing in Laddie with Dwayne, and Marko took Paul's other side. I turn, rolling over to press closer into David's side. I practically tried to dig my way into his side. He wasn't warm, more room temperature with a bit of chill. I've noticed that they tend to run warmer for a few days after feeding, but they are very cold to the touch when they haven't fed in a while.

I startle at the feel of fingers in my hair, before I relax. Being petted was a nice feeling, one I can quickly get used to. David didn't often show affection, at least not like this. Sure he let me ride with him, let me drunkenly sit in his lap, and perhaps gave a light touch here and there. But not really outright caressing and embracing me. It was nice. Melting into his side, I tried to not drool all over him, that wouldn't be attractive at all. I hummed, noting that his chest rumbled and rattled ever so slightly. Was he purring? Oh, that's adorable. Love it.

When I became aware again, I could feel that I had slept hard. Jesus. I got up, feeling disoriented and groggy. I don't like this feeling. I shuffle out and quietly make my way up the stairs, noting that the entrance was open without me having to wake one of the boys to help me. I went to the bathroom before heading to my room, noting the outfit that was laid out. I shake my head, trying not to smile at the idea of one of them-Marko no doubt-coming in to pick out my clothes. At least the room isn't trashed. Dressed in a tight denim skirt, black ankle socks, a black shirt I think is David's with one of Dwayne's red flannels I make my way downstairs.

Laddie is up, watching tv, dressed and already full of energy. There aren't any cartoons on, so the golden girls are playing. Oh nice.

"Hungry buddy?"

He shakes his head, "No, Dwayne made me food."

I ruffle his hair, "Alrighty, just checking." I grab some dry cereal, not in the mood for milk as I plop down next to him on the couch, still very groggy. I eat slowly, mind working itself awake with thoughts of what to do now. I didn't really want to leave, but I should. Or at least try, right? I don't belong here, no matter how well I fit in with them. This isn't my time, or my world, dimension, what-have-ya. I glance at Laddie, knowing what he'd grow up to look like, because of his actor, but not what type of man he'd become. Or vampire, I guess.

My stomach sank lower as I thought of my mom, my mother, the woman who raised me and sacrificed so much for me. I mean, yeah, parents are supposed to sacrifice stuff for their kids, they chose to have a child and raise a literal human being, sacrifices are going to be made. But could I really live with myself if I left her? Alone? What if she had no idea what happened to me, what if I just disappeared and she died never knowing what happened? I wouldn't be there for her when she needed someone.