Eren x Reader ~ Goodbye

═════════════════════════════
Despite all you've been through; all the peril, all the grief, all the confusion and the worry; it was time to part ways at long last.

The future of humanity relied on your parting...
═════════════════════════════
SFW, angst, s4
═════════════════════════════

Y/N clenched her fists resting at her sides on the armrest. The town hall of Marley had filled with the townsfolk to discuss the matters of the Eldians, and so far it had been nothing but frustrating.

Sitting undercover as a fellow Marlians alongside her companions from Paradis, Y/N couldn't help but wonder when all of this hatred she was hearing would finally come to an end. But that's why they were there, of course; to find a way.

Beside her, Commander Hange lightly caressed Y/N's hand to sooth her building frustrations. Shooting the Commander a small grateful smile, Y/N returned her attention back towards the podium where a preacher of sorts stood, ranting and raving about the state of this world.

Y/N shifted uncomfortably. Though the chairs they sat in where of higher quality than the ex scouts were used to, she couldn't quite feel at ease. Something was wrong. Something had been wrong. Ever since she and her squad had eradicated the threat of titans from their island Paradis five years ago, something seemed to have changed in the very air she breathed. Perhaps it was paranoia, or perhaps it was a sixth sense warning her of a greater obstacle they would have to overcome heading their way.

As the man preached on, Y/N caught a movement slightly behind her off to her left.
Carefully turning her head to investigate, she came face to face with Eren.
The look on his face was unreadable, but the look in his eyes was one Y/N was all too familiar with.
He was determined.
What for, Y/N couldn't tell.

Staring into her eyes, Eren's expression changed, if only for a moment.
She saw pity and conflict swimming through his eyes, perhaps a silent plea.
But just as soon as she saw it, it was gone; replaced with a dead eyed stare.
He looked away with a frown, and began to stand.

No one else has noticed his movements as he strode back up the aisle between the chairs and headed for the hall's main exit.

Y/N was quick to also stand, this time drawing the attention of her close friends Armin and Mikasa, who had been sitting to the right of Eren.
Mikasa was also quick to stand, but a tug on her sleeve from Armin stopped her from moving.

"Eren?..." Mikasa muttered worriedly.

As she passed her, Y/N shot her friend a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.
"Don't worry, I'll follow after him."

Mikasa nodded, and with that Y/N was out the door after Eren.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Eren!"

Y/N panted, bent over with her hands on her knees as she gathered back her breath.
Finally, she had caught up to him far down the street.
Up ahead, Eren came to a halt, but he never turned.

Realizing he wouldn't, Y/N marched up to where he stood staring thoughtlessly up at the clouds above them.
Once at his side, she remained silent a moment, giving him the time to speak first. Yet once again, he made no move to start anything. Sighing, Y/N took the initiative.

"Eren, where are you going?" she asked quietly.
Finally, with a low sigh, he turned to face her.
After a moment, he replied.

"This is something I have to do. I cant explain myself, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Matters need to be attended to, and I'm the only one who can tend to them."

Y/N was silent, absorbing his words. Oh, how badly she wanted to protest, and how desperately she wished he would turn everything aside just long enough for her to be at his side. With him.
Yet, in a way, she understood. She understood the war had not yet been won; that his war had not yet been won.
Despite her understanding, she couldn't help the selfish side of her for wishing he would just let matters rest.
But for all the years she'd known him, he was never one to settle for anything.

It was something she had always admired about him, even if it had changed him drastically.

Sighing with her eyes cast down to her feet, she made her decision. She would let him go.
That's what you do when you're in love, isn't it? You let them go.

"Then....I guess this is goodbye?" she meekly asked. She was met with more silence. But this time, her train of thought was interrupted by a soft feeling just under her chin. Her gaze shot up, and she was met with Eren's face just inches from her own. Hiding a blush, she raised a brow up at him as he gently held her chin in his hand.
The corner of his mouth twitched into a sad half smile.

"I don't like goodbyes, Y/N. How about...This is us saying "I'll see you soon"?" he softly spoke.

She gasped as tears were starting to well up in her eyes. Deciding it was now or never, she spoke her mind.

"I won't stop you, nor hinder your plans. But please, please come back safely to us."
She hesitated for a moment before continuing. But when she did, this time her eyes shone with the love she had felt growing in her heart for him.

"I guess that's what they say about love, isn't it? When you love someone, you let them go."

Eren's eyes went wide, but slowly his face relaxed once more. Finally, after months, Y/N was graced to see his genuine smile.
One last time.

"You're forgetting a part," he whispered.
"If you love someone, you let them go, yes.
But if they love you, they'll come back to you."

Tears now ran freely down her face. Lunging forward, she tackled him in a hug. Clutching onto his uniform tightly, she let her tears flow. His arms were quick to find purchase at her waist the second she approached him, and he held her just as tightly.

A moment passed before he loosened his hold, and she followed suit.
"Y/N, I have to get going before the others come to drag me back again."

"I know, I know...." Y/N trailed off and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"I promise," Eren suddenly whispered.

"You promise?"

"I promise I'll come back to you all. I'll come back to you, Y/N."

Y/N finally gave him a smile of her own, though it wavered through her grief.
The last one she would be giving him for oh so long.

"You'd better keep true to that, Jaeger."

Finally, they fully parted, but not before he leaned in and gave her forehead a tinder kiss.
Both were now blushing, yet neither minded.

Wordlessly, he released her, and she him.
He began to walk away, slower this time. Just before he was out of sight, he turned back one last time, to admire the one he'd always considered his first and only love.

Once he had fully disappeared from sight, Y/N fell to her knees and allowed the sobs to wrack her body.

I will see him again.....I have to....

Been going through a lot in my personal life lately and felt like conveying it through angst :/

~Lynn