-Chapter 4 Hobbit-

-POV narrator-

Everybody stood up as it knocked at the door, and they all walked to the greeting room. Even Maira, crept after them. Now Bilbo opens the door.

-POV Maira-

As Bilbo opens the door, I see a black-haired dwarf standing at the door. He steps inside, and the first thing he says is, "I thought you said this place is easy to find. I got lost three times. If it wasn't for the marking on the door, I wouldn't have found it at all." I just deadpan and think, 'How did he get lost? This is the last house on the hill, and it has a shining rune on its door.'

Bilbo says, "Wait, there is no marking on the door. It just got painted last week." To that, Gandalf says, "Yes, there is a rune. I put it there."

Bilbo is shocked, and Gandalf starts to introduce them to each other. "Bilbo Baggins, this is Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of our company." 'So this is their leader, and Oakenshield, how did he get that name?' I thought. Thorin says to Bilbo, "So, that is him. Tell me, what is your weapon of choice, an axe or a sword?" 'What's that for a question to a peaceful hobbit?' I think. But Bilbo answers, "Well, I do have some skill at conkers,if you must know. But I fail to see how that's relevant" he said. 'Just as expected,' I thought. Thorin also says, "thought as much," and goes on to the table.

Later, everybody is sitting at the table and drinking beer. Dwalin asks, "And, what about the meeting, did everyone come?" Thorin says, "Yes, delegates from all seven kingdoms." I just raise an eyebrow while the other dwarves cheer. Dwalin asks, "And? What did Dain say, are they going to join?" To that, Thorin shakes his head, "No, they said that it's our quest and ours alone."

While the dwarves are dejected, Bilbo asks, "You're going on a quest?" At that, Gandalf asks Bilbo, "Bilbo, my dear fellow. Could we have a little more light, please?" Bilbo nodded and goes to get a lantern. As Bilbo comes back with the lantern, Gandalf pulls out a piece of parchment while saying, "Far to the east, over ranges and rivers beyond woodlands and wastelands... Lies a single, solitary peak." Bilbo reads, "the Lonely Mountain." I think, 'Erebor, what do they want there? Isn't that just another dwarven kingdom, even if it is richer than the others?' And at that, Glóin says, "Aye, Óin has read the portents, and the portents say it is time. Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain, as it was foretold. The reign of the beast will end."

Bilbo/Maira: "Uh... What Beast?"/'Beast?'

To that, Bofur says, "Oh, that would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible. Chiefest and Greatest Calamity of our age, airborne fire-breather. Teeth like razors, claws like meat hawks." Bilbo interrupts him with, "Yes, I know what a dragon is."

I am not very happy with that revelation: 'They found something that attracted a dragon, and that dragon then took the Lonely Mountain!' I really don't like dragons because they should not exist in this world, but then Melkor came and created them to cause chaos and destruction.

Just then Ori shoots up from his seat and says, "I'm not afraid. I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of dwarvish iron right up his jacksie!" This sent some of the dwarves into cheering. "Good lad, Ori!" Nori compliments the other dwarf. "Sit down," Dori tells Ori as he grabs onto his arm and pulls him back into his seat. Balin then speaks up, getting everybody's attention, "But we are only 13, and not 13 of the strongest, nor 13 of the smartest." I grin at that while some of the dwarves look offended at the statement. Then Fíli says, "Yes, that may be true, but we are fighters, all of us to the last dwarf!" To that, Kíli follows with, "Plus we have a wizard on our side. He certainly has killed hundreds of dragons." I just deadpan at that and think, 'Isn't that a little overestimated?' That thought is confirmed when Gandalf says, "Well, I-I-I wouldn't say tha-" and then he is cut off by Dori. "How many, then?" Gandalf just asks, "What?" "How many dragons have you killed?" Before Gandalf could say anything, he was cut off by Dori demanding, "Go on, Give us a number!" Then the dwarves start shouting, and I just think, 'If they go on like that, they will never get their home back.'