-Chapter 12 Hobbit-

-POV third person-

Maira appears in a spout of flames right in front of Dale, facing the gate. She hears the voice of the secretary, whose name was Alfrid. He says, "SIRE! Sire! Up here." She looks up and sees Bard and Alfrid standing on the wall, looking at Erebor. Alfrid points at Erebor, saying, "Look, sire, the braziers are lit." Indeed, there are giant fire-filled braziers at the gate. Maira smiles, knowing the company survived, but she anticipates the challenges to come.

Bard also says, "So, the company of Thorin Oakenshield survived." Alfrid looks at him surprised and says, "Survived? You mean there's a bunch of dwarves in there with all that gold?" Maira rolls her eyes at the greed in Alfrid's words. Bard then says, "You shouldn't worry, Alfrid. There's gold enough in that mountain for all."

Bard walks away, calling the people to make camp, find shelter, and get fires going. He assigns Alfrid to take the night watch. Alfrid grumbles, and Bard stomps off. Alfrid looks at the mountain with unease, and Maira can't help but agree with his concerns, even if he's a bit unpleasant. The dwarves are fortifying, and Thorin's greed could lead to disastrous consequences. Maira decides to remain in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to reveal herself.

As dawn breaks in Dale, the people approach Bard with various concerns. They express their need for food, shelter, water, and their fears of not lasting long. Bard responds by prioritizing the children, the wounded, and the women. He addresses the people's needs and instructs them to do what they can.

Maira watches from the shadows, and Bard eventually approaches Alfrid, who was sleeping until now. Bard asks, "Morning, Alfrid. What news from the night watch?" Alfrid, yawning, answers, "All quiet, sire. I must report. Nothing gets past me." They step outside and Alfrid finds that Bard has stopped in the archway. Bard then says, "Except an army of elves, it would seem." Outside, the courtyard is packed with Wood Elves, and the people come out of their buildings to see the elves.

" Outside, the courtyard is packed with Wood Elves, and the people come out of their buildings to see the elves

Bard walks down the steps, approaching the elves. The lines part to give him a way to walk through, and he steps through the path, with the elven lines closing behind him as he exits. At the back, he sees Thranduil riding up on his steed, which happens to be an elk, which is quite impressive. Bard approaches King Thranduil, saying, "My lord Thranduil, we did not expect to see you here." Thranduil answers, "I heard you needed aid."

Thranduil turns and looks at a wagon that is pulled into the courtyard, filled with food. The people of Lake-town smile and begin loading down the supplies with the help of the elves. Bard expresses his gratitude to Thranduil, saying, "You have saved us! I do not know how to thank you." But Thranduil replies, "Your gratitude is misplaced. I did not come on your behalf."

Maira sighs, appreciating Thranduil's assistance but saddened by the impending conflict with the orcs of Dol Guldur. Thranduil continues, "I came to reclaim something of mine." He adds, "There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight."