-Chapter 15 Lotr-

-POV Third Person-

Maira and Míriel have been traveling for several weeks. During this time, Maira has been teaching Míriel the Black Speech, and despite her struggles as an elf, she eventually makes progress. Maira also trains Míriel in swordsmanship every day, but she notices that Míriel doesn't make much progress with the sword, which puzzles her. She decides to stop the sword training and calls her daughter "Dûshadal! Come here, please." Míriel approaches and asks,
"What do you need, Mother?" During their travels, Míriel has developed a strong bond with Maira, who saved her from orcs and taught her the pure Black Speech of Mordor. However, Maira still sees Míriel as a puppet but has also developed some fond parental feelings for her.

Maira explains her decision to stop the sword training to Míriel and mentions they will look for a different weapon in Erebor. Míriel is delighted by her mother's care and the prospect of traveling to Erebor. Maira asks Míriel to mount her horse, and they ride away, leaving the fort of Isen behind. They journey across the flat lands of the Riddermark, encounter some Rohirrim, but don't engage in conversation. After several days, they reach the edge of Mirkwood.

Maira speaks in the Common Tongue, addressing her daughter, "We will leave our horses here and go through the forest, but one thing you must remember: don't stray from the path." Míriel nods and replies, "Understood." They begin walking. After a while, some spiders appear that the elves had missed. Maira wants to attack them with her sword when suddenly Míriel grabs a long branch, spins it, and rams it into one spider. Maira is interested; that looked natural. She then joins her daughter in the battle, and together they kill all the remaining spiders.

After that, they continue on. Sometime after they reach the other end of the forest, Maira says, "Well, that was insightful." Míriel asks, "What do you mean?" Maira just smiles, saying, "I think I have found your weapon." Míriel's eyes light up; she can't wait to see what her wise mother has thought up for her.

They now continue to travel on foot until they reach the long lake. Looking over it, Maira sees that Esgaroth is now being rebuilt. They continue up the lake until they reach Dale. Maira sees the city and is impressed with how much the people have already rebuilt. She looks at her daughter and says, "Dûshadal, look at the city; this is Dale." Míriel looks at the city with sparkling eyes; she has never seen anything like this. She says, "This is beautiful, but didn't you say that the city was destroyed?" Maira smiles and answers, "Yes, but some weeks have passed since i was last here and they had time to start rebuilding. Besides, the city was largely left intact when Smaug attacked." Míriel nods. They make their way down to the city.

Maira walks to the gate, requesting entry, which is swiftly granted. Míriel follows her into the city. They walk until the lord's house, and Maira steps inside. She says, "Greetings, Bard, dragon slayer." Bard looks at her from a desk, and as he sees her, he stands up and says, "Greetings, Lady Maira. We weren't informed of your coming." Maira waves her hand, saying, "That's because I just decided to come." Then she puts her hand on Míriel's shoulder, saying, "I want to introduce you to my daughter." Bard looks at her weirdly. She coughs, adding, "She's adopted." He nods and says, "I am Bard, Lord of Dale, and you are?"

Míriel looks shy because she doesn't often talk to people. She says, "M-my name is Míriel." Bard nods, then looking at Maira, "Why have you come?" She answers, saying, "I have come to get to the forges of Erebor to make a weapon." Bard nods, saying, "King Dain should allow you to use the forges of Erebor since you helped defend it and stopped a war." She smiles, saying, "I think so too because it would be sad if he denied me access." Her smile turns dark at that, and Bard shivers. She then turns back to normal and waves her hand, saying, "Farewell; may no dragon get to you, dragon slayer." And with that, she leaves. Míriel looks around, waving at Bard before running after her mother.