-Chapter 9 Hobbit-

-POV third person-

Maira jumps away, and Bilbo saves the dwarves. She hides in a tree a bit away. As the dwarves fall down on the ground, Bofur asks, "Where's Bilbo?" The dwarves start looking around, yelling his name. Bilbo answers, "I'm up here!" But just then, a spider jumps at him. He manages to stick his sword forward and kills the spider. He and the spider fall from the tree, and while they are falling, the ring falls off his finger. As he and the spider hit the ground, he gets up and stumbles towards the ring. Meanwhile, the spiders return and are now fighting the dwarves. One spider lands on Bombur and wants to bite him, but the dwarves pull at every leg of the spider. They shout, "Pull!" and pull all the legs of the spider clean off. While that is happening, Bilbo looks for the ring, muttering, "Where is it? Where is it? Come on. Where is it?"

Maira looks at him in something akin to pity and thinks, "Why did I make a ring like that? That destroys people like that. That's not art; that's devilry. I need to make a new one that is a work of the finest!"

Bilbo now sees the ring and starts to walk towards it. Suddenly, a young and even more ugly spider crawls out of a hole in the ground, pushing the ring away. Bilbo looks at the little spider angrily and starts to hack at it in a berserker-like manner that deepens Maira's newfound dislike for the ring. While that is happening, the dwarves are still fighting the spiders. One manages to grab Kilí. Filí yells, "Kilí!" Bilbo is still mutilating the spider, and as he kills it, he shows the ring to the spider, saying, "Mine!"

At that, Maira whispers, "The ring has no master besides the Dark Lord of Mordor. It listens to no one." Then realization hits her, "What if the ring doesn't listen to me because it doesn't see me as its master?" Then she scowls, "Then who is the master?"

Bilbo then examines the ring, but then he realizes what he has done and looks on in shame. Maira smiles, thinking, "At least he still knows what he is doing."

The dwarves have defeated the spiders and are now running through the forest. More spiders come down from the trees. The dwarves get ready to fight, but then an arrow hits one spider. Thorin looks up to see a blonde elf running on the trees, swinging down a spider's silk and killing it. Then he rolls on the ground and comes up kneeling in front of Thorin, an arrow nocked and pointing at Thorin. In that moment, Mirkwood elves appear, pointing their arrows at the dwarves. The blonde elf says, "Do not think I won't kill you, dwarf. It would be my pleasure."

The dwarves look around, seeing that they are surrounded and outnumbered. But then, Kilí yells, "Help!" and a female elf comes to his aid, saving Kilí. The elf kills several spiders with her bow and knife and then kills the spider pulling Kilí's leg. She turns around to kill another spider but then yet another spider rushes Kilí. Kilí shouts at the she-elf, "Throw me your dagger! Quick!" But she just answers, "If you think I'm giving you a weapon, dwarf, you're mistaken!" The elf kills the spider she is fighting and then spins around, throwing her knife and killing the spider. Kilí looks at her in amazement, and Maira says, smiling at Kilí, "Love at first sight."

But then an elf lands behind her, getting ready to point his bow at her. She spins around, draws her sword, and decapitates him. She swings her sword once to get the blood off and then puts it back in the scabbard.

The blonde elf says, "Search them!" As the elves approach the dwarves, one elf confiscates two of Filí's knives. The blonde elf pulls a picture frame out of Glóin's pocket; it contains two pictures. Glóin says, "Hey! Give it back! That's private!" Legolas looks at the picture and asks, "Who is this? Your brother?" Glóin corrects him, saying, "That is my wife!" The blonde elf, looking at the second picture with disgust, asks, "And what is this horrid creature? A goblin mutant?" Glóin explains, "That's my wee lad, Gimli." The blonde raises an eyebrow. Meanwhile, the red-haired elf searches Kilí, finding even his most hidden knives. He sighs at that. The blonde elf asks the she-elf, "-Gyrth in yngyl bain?-" [Are the spiders dead?] She replies, "-Ennorner gwanod in yngyl na nyryn. Engain nar.-" [Yes, but more will come. They're growing bolder.] Filí opens his jacket to show the elf that is searching him that he has no knives left, but the elf still finds one in his hood.