Chapter 3: The Encounter that Stole My Breath Untitled

I walked toward him.

 My steps heavy with both anticipation and nervousness. My heart raced as I neared him. His smile, so charming, and those eyes, so captivating, were fixated on me. But that look! What should I do? That gaze was making me blush uncontrollably, my cheeks ablaze with a mixture of excitement and shyness. I'm in over my head... I need to escape his gaze; otherwise, I'm going to embarrass myself for sure. The heat in my face was unbearable, my cheeks turning the shade of ripe strawberries.

I halted in my tracks, debating whether to make a hasty retreat. But to my astonishment, he started moving in my direction. Panic welled up; this was not what I had prepared for.

"Emmm... Hi!" He said with a warm smile.

My heart skipped a beat.

"Hi," I replied, my voice trembling. 

Nervously, I found the courage to ask, "emmm....What brings you to this spot? Are you waiting for someone?"

"Yeah, actually, I'm waiting for my friends," he replied. 

His concern was palpable as he continued, "Ahhh, are you okay, Ananya? Your face is all red. Are you feeling alright?"

My heart raced even faster. He knew my name! But what is more startling is that he seemed to have noticed my blush. Why is he asking like that? I was flustered, feeling utterly exposed. I have to think quickly, find an excuse to mask my embarrassment.

"Ahmmm... No... Maybe it's just a bit warm here," I replied, my words a feeble attempt to conceal my blushing face.

"Warm! oh, okay. Anyway, I wanted to see you and apologize."

"Apologize! , for what?" I asked.

"Yesterday was my first gathering after returning from abroad. I felt out of place, and that's why when my dad introduced you, I felt insecure and left. I know it was rather rude. I'm truly sorry."

"Oh, it's okay. Your dad already cleared things up yesterday."

"That's great. Well..My friends are here now. I'm on my way. Goodbye, Ananya. See you later."

"Yeah, see you later!"

And then, to my amazement, he started walking away.

"Ananya?"

"Ha... I turned back . It was Juan, my best friend.

"Hey, Juan... You're early today. What's up? You're always on the list of latecomers. Did something happen? Or am I dreaming?"

"OUCHH... That hurts... Juan, why did you pinch me?"

"It hurts, doesn't it? I'm proving that this isn't a dream. Goodness, girl... Who were you talking to? Who's that hottie?"

"Cut it out, Juan. He's a family friend and our senior, Sanjay."