Chapter 4: Secrets and Friendship Bonds

"Oh, that's it?" Juan asked, her curiosity evident as she clearly expected more from me.

I hesitated for a moment before responding, "Well, that's it for now. I don't know, maybe in the future, he might become something more to me, or maybe not. It depends on him, anyway."

Juan pondered for a moment and then said, "Oh, I see. But I don't know why it smells like love and is obviously a "one-sided love."

I chuckled and retorted, "Oh, then stop smelling. Are you coming with me, or do you want to stay here and keep speculating?"

I playfully teased her and continued walking.

"Hey, Ananya, wait for me," Juan called after me. "Isn't it true? Or has he fallen for you too? That means it's a two-sided love, and that's why you're acting all defensive, right?"

I rolled my eyes and warned, "Stop it, Juan, or I will tease you mercilessly."

As we walked, she changed the subject, saying, "Ananya, look over there. Our friends are waiting for us, I think."

  Our gang consisted of five members: me, Rudra, John, Juan, and Riya. We were known as the quintet and were practically the rulers of the middle school block. Of course, there was a reason for that. Both Rudra and I had consistently held the top ranks in school. Last year, it was him, and this year, I had claimed the top spot, just by a point. Many believed that we were in fierce competition each year for this position, but the truth was different. We had a deep camaraderie, shared a passion for studying, and excelled in subjects like science and mathematics. This was the secret to our continual success. Additionally, we were the school's chairperson and chairman of the student council for the year. Rudra also served as the cricket team captain.

Juan, Riya, and John were no less exceptional, all ranking in the top 10. Juan was a prominent member of the hockey team, Riya was part of the basketball team, and John was the captain of the school's football team. We had diverse interests and ambitions, but our friendship remained solid as a rock. We were all extroverts at heart.

Juan couldn't resist sharing, "Hey, guys, I have something to tell you. You won't believe what I saw on my way here."

She teased, "I saw someone blushing and acting all shy while talking to a handsome boy, and they were smiling at each other. What a typical school romance scene! I think he's going to be our future in-law."

She had thrown me into an awkward situation with no escape. They were all waiting for my confirmation. What should I do? Should I reveal what is really happening? No, not yet. What if it was just a passing infatuation? I needed to deny her statement until I am certain about my feelings.

"Juan, stop it. Guys, it's not like that," I protested. "He's my family friend and our senior. It's normal that I talked to him. I just met him yesterday, and how can I fall for someone I met at a party just once?"

But why did I feel like I was lying to them? Why?