Chapter 5: Unintended Chaos

Rudra, always supportive and kind, spoke up for me, saying, "I believe you, Ananya." He then turned to Juan, reprimanding her, "Juan, stop blabbering with your random thoughts. You're always like this, talking nonsense and teasing others."

Acknowledging her error, Juan quickly admitted, "Okay, I accept my mistake. If she says so, then it must be my mistake. Sorry, Ananya."

I smiled at her. "It's okay, you silly girl."

Rudra has consistently been my steadfast support, standing by me more than anyone else. His kind and down-to-earth nature made him incredibly popular at school. Although many girls showed interest in him, he seemed disinterested in pursuing any relationships. I often advised him to find someone who truly cared for him, but he'd respond with,

"I'm not interested. It's so boring." 

He treated everyone in our group with equal respect and care, knowing our habits, favorites, and everything about each of us. He remembered to wish me a happy birthday before anyone else and added to my collection of favorite action figures every year, contributing to my growing collection in my room.

There were rumors circulating about me and Rudra, hinting at a romantic relationship, but I disregarded such gossip as the misconceived chatter of those who failed to comprehend the depth of our friendship. 

Rudra, however, found it amusing. He even went as far as encouraging the rumors, offering to buy milk tea for those who spread them. His carefree and humorous nature was something I admired. Our bond was resilient, destined to be cherished indefinitely.

During the lunch break in the school canteen, I caught sight of Sanjay while I was with my friends. Juan, being her usual self, couldn't resist showing him off.

"Guys, look at that corner seat, a bunch of boys. The one in the black hat is Sanjay," she exclaimed.

Both Juan and Riya seemed fixated on him. Feeling a sense of annoyance, I suggested, "Hey, guys, let's move."

"Is she jealous?" Juan and Riya whispered, oblivious that I had overheard them.

Approaching them, I whispered, "I'm not."

"Wow, Ananya, your ears are so sharp! You even catch whispered conversations. That's awesome!" they laughed, surprised by my sudden proximity.

I rolled my eyes at their remark, playfully tapping Juan's head and dragging her by the collar of her jacket. We settled at a different corner, opposite his table.

While settling in, I reminded myself that he was merely spending time with friends, nothing to worry about. It had only been nearly a month since his arrival; 

who would approach or hit on him so soon? "Why should I worry?" I mumbled to myself. I wasn't envious. Why would I be envious of him spending time with others?

 No... Then what about me... I sighed.

Rudra might have noticed my unusual behavior, asking, "Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah... I'm okay, perfect. Why do you ask?" I responded, trying to appear nonchalant.

"No... I thought you were distracted by something. Um... What would you like to have?" he inquired.

"I want one pasta with pesto sauce and sparkling water. That's fine," I replied.

"Same here," the others agreed.

"Okay, then I'll go and get it," Rudra offered, heading toward the counter.

While Rudra went to collect our food, I found myself unable to resist stealing glances at Sanjay. He looked incredibly handsome, especially when engaged in conversation, his eyes twinkling like stars and lips reminiscent of ripe strawberries.

 I yearned for his notice, wondering if he'd glance back, or if anything I did would evoke a similar feeling of jealousy. I wanted to test him.