TWELVE

Fredo von Ejellan, better known as the Vampire Duke and undercover worker in the Endable Kingdom, stared at Cale Henituse. He had crossed his legs and arms, looking quite intimidating, even more than Ron had ever looked like before. Cale sighed and shook his head, somewhat trying to make the scary vampire look at something else other than him.

Eruhaben just sighed as he watched how nervous Cale got. It was strange to him, but ever since he was told that Cale didn't tell him the whole truth about his abilities, he didn't know what to do anymore. The Cale he got to know was someone who put his people before him, often ending up injured to protect them. The ancient dragon was aware that Cale was a very self-sacrificial human, yet he didn't know how bad the secret Cale didn't tell him actually was.

The Vampire Duke, the one who used to fool around quite a lot and was never really serious looked like one of the most adamant people he had ever seen. It was as if they were currently in a life-or-death-situation which Eruhaben certainly hoped that they were not.

Cale seemed to get even more uncomfortable as he stopped leaning on the couch so carelessly and bent forward, sighing. While his expression seemed to be the same as usual, there were these shaking pupils that gave his nervousness away. Usually, Cale had exceptional control over his expressions, yet the topic ahead was a bit too sensitive and important.

"Show me your arm."

Cale flinched upon not only hearing those harsh words, but also the emotion-void voice that said them. Duke Fredo had never, not even once, talked in such a manner with him. He usually used a nice and friendly tone, one that sounded soft, warm and welcoming. One that creeped Cale out because he always acted like a caring parent; yet Cale wanted, for the first and probably only time in his entire life, that voice back, as he preferred the "soft Duke-father" to the "strict-Duke-father".

Cale gulped and looked at the ancient dragon who was looking at him with a strange expression that didn't belong on the beautiful being's face. It was a mixture of a frown, an angry expression and a fearful one. Cale didn't like seeing such worried faces looking at him; hence he looked back at Duke Fredo who had an expressionless, calm-seeming façade.

"I-"

Duke Fredo shook his head and finally got up from the seat he had been sitting on ever since the others went to enjoy their dinner. He took two steps, then stayed still in front of Cale. He stared at the redheaded man for quite a while until he forcefully pulled down both of the man's sleeves, revealing two pale arms, one of which had a red tattoo like think marked on it. As soon as Duke Fredo saw that there was something like that, he let go of Cale's hand as fast as he had taken it, it was as if he had burnt himself by touching it.

Cale rolled his eyes and pulled his sleeves back down. He caressed his right arm. He wasn't feeling any pain – yet that is.

"...What is that?"

Eruhaben, who had seen the red mark on Cale's arm as well, could tell that it wasn't just some fancy tattoo the redhead had decided to have. While it didn't look like much, the ancient dragon could tell by the Vampire Duke's reaction to seeing that thing that it was something bad, something that could potentially harm Cale Henituse even! Eruhaben could also tell by the expression of the redhead that that thing on his arm was difficult to deal with, honestly, Eruhaben could tell that much just by looking at the incredibly fancy and strange design that would be quite difficult to imitate.

"It is a curse."

Eruhaben just wanted to nod calmly but instead almost jerked his head off. He stared at Cale who just casually sat there and talked about a curse that was cast on him as if that was an every-day-thing. Who knew, maybe for Cale Henituse, receiving a curse was and every-day thing to have!