Chapter 13

The weather became colder and colder as the temperatures drop causing for the road to be covered in ice, the grass that was once green turned pure white from the snow. Vanessa and Bella arrived to school smooth and safe without as much as crashing considering the slippery icy roads. Vanessa gets out the truck and looks down to see the wheels were chained.

"I guess Charlie put these on last night." Bella says as Nessa hums and puts on her earphones and music to play before walking with Bella until one of her friends went up to them as Nessa immediately walked away. She kept her eyes to the ground when she slammed herself to a wall causing for her to fall back. She was ready to catch herself when a pair of warm arms wrapped themselves around her as she looks up to the source and saw a new face. He mouthed words as she stood up straight making him let go of her when she did. He held his hand out for her to shake as she looks at it then back at him. He wore a leather jacket despite the cold winter weather which confused her since he should be freezing.

Before she could react another pair of arms found themselves wrapped around her waist as she was pulled away from the man and to a colder body causing for her to look and see Jasper glaring at the man.

"Watch where you're going next time." Jasper mouthed towards him angrily as her eyes drifted towards the boy who raised his hands in defense.

"I didn't do anything alright. Both of us weren't paying attention." He tells Jasper as he just glares before taking her warm hand with his cold ones and dragged her away from the man. They made it to their first class as Jasper requested to have their class together, despite having it midway through the school year, he was able to pull some strings of course.

Vanessa felt as if the world in front of her moved by quick, not that she minded at all. Although, she has been seeing the same guy she bumped into at the hallway in some of her periods. Vanessa couldn't remember much except that his name is Dominic and he moved into this small little town a couple of days ago from England with his family. Not that Vanessa was interested in the guy, but something about him in particular made Vanessa feel...uncertain about his presence.

On her third period, Bio, the class were partnered up and Jasper frowned when he wasn't partnered up with his mate and instead with someone else, the guy that Vanessa bumped into at the hallway.

"Hey." He smiles at her as he sat next to her and Jasper glared at the back of his head as he was sat behind them making the guy glance to see him still glaring.

"Your boyfriend is really the jealous type huh?" He ask jokingly as he looks at Vanessa who shrugged.

"His just protective that's all." She tells him and the teacher started handing out papers for their work.

"My name is Ivan. You must be Vanessa?"
"Yeah."
"Not much of a talker. I get it." He chuckles a bit before looking down at his paper as the teacher gave them instructions before letting them proceed.

"How long have you been in Forks?"
"I've been away. Just came back this year to stay with my dad."
"Really? Where were you before you moved here?"
"How is this Biology related?"
"Sorry, Just...haven't seen anyone as beautiful as you." He smiles at her as she didn't even spare a glance at him, but she knew that by now, Jasper is glaring at him more with deep hatred. The bell rang as everyone began packing their things.

"Alright, the project is due tomorrow, please finish this together. I want teamwork."
"Wanna work lunch?"
"She's busy." Jasper steps in immediately before Vanessa could say anything.

"Okay, what about after school? I know this cafè that we could go to. My grandma owns it."
"Like I said, she's busy." Jasper wraps his arm around her and pulls her away before he could utter another invitation.

"Jasper, I might have to take his offer. I still need to finish this project with him."
"I can help you with that."
"Jasper." Vanessa gives him the look as he sighs and nods.

"Alright, fine. If you need any help and I mean ANY, find me or the others. Okay?"
"I will." She smiles at him and he nods before kissing the top of her head as they headed to their next class. Lunch came by, both Jasper and Vanessa walked towards the cafeteria.

"Ness!" The two heard and turned around to see Ivan running up to them.

"About that Biology work."
"Can you take a break?"
"Jasper." She looks at him as Ivan raised his hands in defense.

"Chill, I just came to tell that I finished it. Here's the work. Just copy it and hand it back tomorrow, that way both of us can get the grades."
"Uh...thanks. I'll do just that."
"Yeah, if you are still up for that cafè, I know a place. AND your boyfriend can come with us." Ivan backs away when Jasper took a step forward as Vanessa held the vampire's arm.

"We'll think about it, thank you for the work." She tells him and nudges Jasper as they both began walking off.

"I will rip his head off." He growls lowly.

"Calm down." She tells him as they entered the cafeteria and sat down at the Cullen's table.

"What happened to you?"
"New guy."
"Ooh, was he hitting on you, Nessa?" Emmett smirks seeing Jasper with a more newly emotion causing for Jasper to glare at Emmett, who raised his hands in defense.

"Hey, it's okay." Vanessa whispers rubbing her hand on his arm as he connects his emotions with Alice despite being sad that he can't emotionally connect with his mate. He still finds her mysterious with how her emotions are filled with darkness. He would monitor it once in a while even with him near her, there was still no change to it. He needs to ask Carlisle about this, maybe ask her.

"Vanessa...can I talk to you for a moment, please?" Jasper stands up as Emmett made a look towards Vanessa of 'you're in trouble'. Rosalie hits his shoulder gently getting his attention.

"Sure." She stands up and took his hand as Jasper walks off from the table and out of earshot from his siblings.

"I wonder what it's about."
"It's a...how do I say this." Alice tries to think as everyone looks at her.

"What did you see?"
"Well, I sort of didn't see anything...but I saw darkness. Pure darkness in her future." She tells them as everyone tilts their head with confusion.

"Pure darkness? What do you mean?"
"Like something is blocking and then suddenly a face of evil."
"Same here, I tried reading her mind, but all I hear are screams. Screams of agony and..torment."

As soon as they're far away, Jasper stops and turns to face her.

"I need you to be completely honest with me."
"Alright?"
"Are you...happy around me?"
"Yes, I am? Is that something to ask?"
"No, I mean yes. It's just that..."
"What is it?"
"I tried reading your emotions. Connecting with them, but somehow all I'm getting is this dark abyss of...nothing. Pure darkness. Is there something at least you aren't telling me?"
"I...don't really know what you are talking about, but all I can say is that I am happy with what I have now." She tells him as he stares into her eyes seeing honesty.

"But if that seems to be the problem then maybe you shouldn't rely much on your gifts onto someone and actually read their emotions by learning how they act. It's how human beings learn if they are to trust people."
"It's not a problem...it's something I don't know. I never really had this type of..." He stops trying to think of the right words to say without pissing her off.

"Look, I get it. I could be a problem and hard to read, but you don't have to throw that at my face to point that out." She turns and walks off.

"Wait!"
"Leave me alone right now Jasper. I'm not in a talking mood." She tells him without giving him a glance as the bell rang.