01

Maya and Carina sat across from a social worker, about to do something that would change their whole lives

Maya and Carina sat across from a social worker, about to do something that would change their whole lives. They had been longing for this day, for the call they had received and had been giddy with excitement before the nerves had set in. Carina had clutched the steering wheel tighter than usual on the drive to the office and Maya had kept her hand on her thigh most of the time, providing them both with a source of comfort.

"I know I said over the phone that Fynleigh was 13 but in the few days that the paperwork took to come through, she turned 14." Jennifer smiled at the two women as she set a thick file down in front of them. Both were scared to open the folder and they already felt like they were betraying the child's trust already.

"Did she get to celebrate?" Carina asked the question that both were thinking.

"I don't know Mrs Deluca-Bishop. Truthfully, foster parents are taking in these children out of the kindness in their hearts, balancing their own kids and jobs, living their lives and sometimes they have more important things to do than to celebrate a foster child's birthday. It's unfortunate but it happens." The social worker responded, as she gave the two women an encouraging nod to open the file.

Maya and Carina exchanged sad glances, as they were clearly both debating the same thing. How they would love to buy a cake, fill their apartment with balloons and a birthday banner with a pile of presents for the girl but they could also see the other side. The girl had most likely been given a lot of false promises and they worried that their over the top nature could be seen as another false promise of family . Of course if it was down to Maya and Carina, they would love to have the girl become a permanent member of the family; to turn their apartment from their little love shack between the two to a warm family home.

"Does she have an allergies? Anything she doesn't like?" The social worker seemed a little flustered at their question, giving a gesture to the file in front of her. As much as Jennifer would love to be able to answer their question, she had been assigned to Fynleigh rather recently. She had other kids to work with and worry about to and every kid was different, her mind wasn't large enough to hold all of that information.

Carina frowned, quite disappointed that they would be going in to meet their new foster child blind and hoped she would be open to answering some questions about herself. She would much rather hear about the child directly from the social worker's mouth or her own, rather than reading about the child's life (without her consent) to know those things. Of course, they had to know what they were getting into but she herself would hate it if there was a folder about her entire life history open for public reading.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

Fynleigh hummed as she danced around the small waiting room, after getting bored of waiting in the half empty bean bag chair that sat in the corner of the room. She turned up her battered iPod, having to press the volume button a couple of times for it to work as she danced like nobody was watching.