4.2

Fynleigh seemed like time was standing still as she followed Carina and Maya into the mall, after Carina had locked up the car. The place was immediately noisy, far too noisy as people's faces blurred into one as the hubbub of people moved around the three. She dug her nails into her palm, fighting to urge to cover her ears and make herself small.

She was drawn out of her spacing out, flinching slightly as she felt both Maya and Carina's hands in each of her own. The surprise touch should of pushed her over the edge but it somehow felt comforting - yet feared that she looked like a smaller child that constantly needed looking after. The couple had noticed the child's reaction to the busy place and soon taken her hands to stop her from hurting herself.

They wanted to ask where they should go first but it was doubtful they'd get a response as the red head still seemed to be visibly overloaded. The Italian spotted a store that seemed to fit Fynleigh's vibe or she hoped it would, the store filled with colourful clothes and retro looking things. The two women lead the red head across the mall and into the store, thankfully the store had far less people and was much quieter.

Fynleigh finally seemed to be back to reality and slowly pulled her hands away from her foster mother's. She glanced at the clothes with her eyes seeming brighter as she quietly observed the clothes - fingering the fabrics with the curiosity of a small child.

"Pick anything you'd like bambina." Carina smiled softly, noticing the confusion that filled her eyes after hearing that sentence. Fynleigh immediately shook her head, catching one of the price tags and a sick feeling growing in her stomach at the possibility of the women spending that much money on her. She wasn't stupid, she was 14 and didn't have any money of her own which left one possibility.

"Fyn, please don't worry. We want to treat you. Please honey." Maya frowned at the child's conflicted expression. The clothes were beautiful and they definitely fit her vibe but they were far too much money for the sweet women to waste (they'd already done too much for her).

She noticed the younger female didn't take her eyes off the floor as she dug her feet into the soles of her worn down shoes, almost like she was trying to disappear. Carina swallowed her emotions that made her want to rush over and hug the girl and promise everything would be okay, that she would have a happy life with them- she knew she couldn't promise that. She smiled softly at her instead, suggesting that they could just look together and point out things to Maya for next time.

The blonde firefighter had caught onto her wife's game and knew it wouldn't be just looking - but a ruse to get her more comfortable and see what she actually liked. Fynleigh shrugged softly, her eyes glancing around for something with a frowning face. She didn't seem to spot what she was after - the clearance rack, if the women were going to insist on spending money on her it should be the cheapest possible. The Italian offered her hand and the red head accepted it after a few moments of comfortable silence, beginning to walk with her around the store and making small talk about things like her favourite colours. Before living with the two women touch from her foster parents was never positive but the young girl was slowly residing herself to their touch - crumbling her walls down ever so slowly as she began to feel comforted by said touch.

The couple learned that her favourite colours were those that were bright, shades of neon and many funky patterned garments later (after persistent protests from their foster daughter) - they approached the changing rooms. Carina made a mental note to make an appointment with Arizona, both women had noticed their foster daughter was on the smaller side and rather skinny. This seemed to be amplified when the smallest size in the store seemed extra oversized on her which arose the dreaded question.

Fynleigh became visibly nervous when Carina began to ask questions about her current size in clothing. She didn't want to freak the women out by the fact that kids clothes were more appropriate than the stores Carina had suggested they go to next - or worry (especially the doctor of the two) by telling the truth that she was a couple of sizes down from her age. It was obvious to the two women that the question seemed to frighten her and thus Maya made the gentle suggestion of checking the tags on her clothes.