-Chapter 32-

I still feel an unshakeable apprehension as we come to a shaky stop. Our time in the van has been largely silent aside from Amy's occasional vehement command or brash criticism. Still unsure how relieved to feel—what may be real and what may be for show—I take some comfort in the subtle relaxation of Kane's features. Of course, there's still an edge there, the way his jaw and shoulders are tight, the way he looks hyper focused despite being restrained, unable to do anything aside from wait.

I want to believe that this is all still in line with the plans he seems to have made with Amy. I keep telling myself that as suddenly Kane begins to shout, swaying his body forward and back, from side to side, causing items in the back to clang as they hit the metal bottom of the van's interior.

Amy pushes hard on the brakes, the vehicle coming to a halt, more items crashing down on us as the motion stops all together.

I hear her as she approaches from outside, the back doors opening. If her eyes weren't so unbothered, her tone would sweep fear into my heart as she pulls Kane up and out of the van. "When will you stop?" She pushes Kane down to the ground before closing the doors, obscuring my vision, muffling their voices.

I hear a shuffle, but no other words.

I tell myself this isn't real. That it's only as real as it has to be. That has to be it.

When Kane returns, his lips is dripping blood down onto his shirt, torn and caked with mud.

"Keep quiet," Amy warns, slamming the doors shut once more.

I try to turn my head to look at Kane, struggling to move without the use of my arms or hands. The only light coming into the vehicle is through the hazy glass behind us that separates us from Amy. As we continue into the heart of the Government Sector, light becomes a bit more frequent, if only nominally so.

"Have...others," Kane mouths, the words hard to make out as the light comes and goes. He doesn't dare speak. "The van... wired. Amy...with us."

Kane doesn't look surprised or unnerved to have learned the others were taken in. I wonder if his plan had allowed for that possibility. After all, once we knew Paul was in the same bunker as Mrs. Porter, Anya, the others... it was clear what would happen.

More than anything, he's telling me we can trust Amy.

I don't. I don't trust anyone with even a sliver of a tie to the Government, let alone a connection such as hers.

Still, I trust Kane. If he is willing to trust her, I can accept that, even if I can't do it for myself.

When the van comes to a stop again, I don't need to see where we are to know.

The Cells loom large as we are dragged out of the van, Amy's nails sharp against my skin as Agents walk toward us.

"The Leader has asked us to—"

"I will take them," Amy says, cutting off the Agent. I can't see his face, but his stance is unmoving as Amy motions for him and the other men to move. "They've evaded you all long enough. Please, allow me to do your job."

I'm not sure if it's the sting of her admonishment or lack of care that causes the Agents to let us through. Regardless, we make it through without anything more than a few pointed looks and helmet-muffled whispers.

My feet stall as we reach the steps. Last time I was here with Kane, I betrayed his trust. It was necessary, albeit something I'm still unsure of. I wonder if Kane is thinking about that too; about what I did.

"Almost there," Amy whispers. I can't see her face well, just a glimpse from the side, but any traces of malice have shriveled away. It returns, however, once we reach the top few steps where new Agents come into view. This time I'm prepared for it.