-Chapter 9-

Cullen and I walk slowly back out into the large room that the little shower space is tucked into, and I feel my skin crawl as the Agents outside look me over. I try to ignore their crude remarks, and the vicious, lustful looks in their eyes. I begin to wonder again how Cullen, the man who has shown me nothing but respect, is one of them.

"Just ignore them," Cullen whispers, stepping closer to me, almost as if to shield me from them, "you don't owe them anything."

I allow myself to step behind Cullen, feeling the eyes of the Agents falling into place behind me bore into my back. Cullen notices and steps to the side of me, his hand on the small of my back, his skin cold against mine.

I breathe a small sigh of relief. No matter what, Cullen will be there with me today. I never in a million years thought that I would be relieved to have an Agent by my side.

"Looks like he's claimed her," an Agent behind me whispers. He says it quietly, but not enough so that Cullen can't hear him.

Cullen turns around suddenly, his fist coming just short of the man's chin. The Agent flinches, a few of his cohorts chuckling beside him. "No one is claiming her. She's not property. Admire her for that, because from where I'm standing we're the only property here." Cullen's fist returns to his side, and he gives the Agents a shrug. "Show some respect, or-"

"Or else what?"

I recognize Charlie's voice despite the weariness in it, the timidness that didn't used to be there. He walks up behind me, his hand taking Cullen's place on my back.

Cullen turns to face Charlie, clouds forming in his eyes, his jaw clenched. "Or else they'll have to report back to you, or the Leader, Sir."

Charlie smiles, despite looking hollow, empty. "I'm glad to see you've remembered your place, Agent."

I bristle at their interaction, the way Charlie believes he has any power and leverage over these men. A couple of months ago, even weeks ago, this would have been laughable. Charlie worked for Kane, worked with him. He suddenly has some say because the Government tricked him and want to keep him on their side? They've found his hubris, his desire for power that he never felt he had with Kane. And they are doing everything they can to keep him on their side. I will do whatever I can to try and reverse this.

"I will be escorting Ms. Martins to the Social Gathering," Charlie says, and I watch as the color quite literally drains from Cullen's face. He starts to open his mouth as though to fight this, to question it, but Charlie beats him to it, "alone."

Cullen and the other men deflate, but I know that it is only Cullen who does so out of a sense of concern for my well-being. He was going to keep me safe, to make sure that I could make it through whatever lies ahead.

"Are you sure I-" Cullen starts, and the fiery look Charlie sends him melts the words on his tongue and he steps away, directing the other men away as well. They almost don't follow, their loyalty to Cullen seeming tenuous, but when Charlie nods, they walk off as well.

Once they have left and it is just Charlie and I standing in the large room, the heat from the showers and tension having become nearly unbearable. I feel a bead of sweat drip down my back, seeping into the gown. Charlie turns to me, the malicious look he wore before being replaced by a more boyish charisma. He pulls me to his chest, and if it is meant as a gesture of comfort, it falls really short. His cheeks rests against the top of my head, his arms holding me close as though I am providing him comfort, not the other way around.

"I miss you," He whispers, and for a moment I let myself forget what he's done, what he's been through. I think back to the Charlie who let me steal his food, who would grab extra for me. The one who would joke with me, help me, go along with my plans no matter how unsubstantiated they were.