- Epilogue -

Five Years Later

Amelia runs past me, her arms out like she's flying. Timmy chases after her, followed by Anya who laughs watching the pair.

"Ames," I call, watching from the kitchen as she goes in circles in the living room. "Grams will be here soon."

It's a nickname that Mrs. Porter had latched onto from the first moment Amelia said it. It's stuck ever since.

"Andrew and Kane should be here soon," Anya rubs her hands together, her nerves showing through. "I hope mom's doing okay."

I lean back against the counter, taking a sip of tea.

"Kane said she seemed to be in good spirits today."

"I think being back home will help," Amy sighs.

For the past year, Mrs. Porter's health has grown increasingly complicated. While her body is spry and keen, her mind and memories have continued to deteriorate. We've all been fortunate that her treatments have helped, yet there's the looming knowledge that likely one day they won't.

Some days are better than others, her memories as sharp as anyone else's. Then there are those days when her confusion breaks our hearts. On more than one occasion she's mistaken Kane and Andrew for their father, and Amelia for Anya.

"They're here!" Andrea calls, walking into the room, grabbing a handful of crackers off of a plate on the counter. She pops one into her mouth before coming to stand beside me.

"Ames, Timmy, let's go meet them outside," I say, watching as Amelia continues with spread arms through the front door.

"I never get tired of that," Andrea chuckles, though there's a hint of sadness in her eyes. I feel it too. "She's been able to grow up in a world so different from ours. She isn't afraid of anything."

I remember the baby in that alley, her mother killed by Agents. Her cries had pierced my ears and loosened my resolve. Now she's a young girl, wildly playful, filled with confidence and energy that's all hers. No one has ever asked her to be more or different than she is.

We walk together out into the yard as Kane and Andrew help Mrs. Porter out of the car. She brightens upon seeing everyone, greeting the children first with hugs and a quick peck on the cheek.

"There's my girl," her gaze leaves the children for a moment to look to Anya.

She greets everyone, her smile never leaving her face.

This is what she always wanted. To have her loved ones together.

No more separation. No more.

Nightfall comes, and Andrea and Anya both leave to head back into the city, telling Mrs. Porter goodbye before piling into their car.

I wash the dishes as Kane helps his mom to bed, the kids asleep in the spare room.

My fingers have started to prune when Kane walks up behind me, his arms wrapping around my waist, his lips settling on my shoulder.

"Mom's asking to see you," he says. "I'll finish these."

I rinse away the suds on the plate I've been scrubbing. Setting it to dry, I turn to face Kane, looking up at him. No matter how many years pass, I still see the boy whose face was plastered on every Broadcast, the boy who fought for what he believed in.

I push up onto my toes, pressing a kiss to his lips. He holds me there, before tilting his head to the side, smiling.

"Mom's demanding one of your stories," he says.

"I'll go," I smile, stepping away.

Walking to Mrs. Porter's room, I take in the pictures on the walls. The majority of them were taken in the past six years, after everything changed. Family portraits, pictures of Amelia playing, pictures of Kane and I, Anya, Andrew, Andrea. There are others there too, friends and family.

Six years.

I walk into Mrs. Porter's room, a smile blooming on her face.

"Felisha," she pats the mattress beside her. "Would you tell his story again?"

I sit beside her, grabbing her hand in mine.

"Of course."

I tell her the story from the beginning, the same as always.

Her story. His story.

My story.

Year 6 was meant to put me in my place.

Year 12 was meant to push me further down, break me.

Year 18 was meant to free me, liberate us all.

We made that happen.

THE END

A/N ~ I have way too much to say to leave it as a note here, but I'll try. I'm so incredibly thankful for all of you that have read these books and supported me over the years. It's something I'm inexplicably grateful for. 9 years of work. That's crazy to me! I started this trilogy on my birthday (12/27) back in 2014. I certainly didn't know what it would turn into then, or that so many of you would love this story and these characters as much as I did. Thank you again for everything, and I can't wait to jump into something new with you all!

Until the next adventure,

Sarah :) <3