𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐏𝐎𝐍𝐘𝐁𝐎𝐘

— Johnny...is alive? I am not complaining though...what did he even mean by stay gold?

We all got into the car and drove to the hospital, when we got there, we practically ran to the front desk. "We are here to see Johnny Cade." Darry says. The lady nods and goes into her files. "Room 201." The worker said after a few minutes.

We walked in to see Johnny asleep, not moving at all. The room was eerie quiet. The doctor looked at us. "Sorry boys. He is in a comatose. He might not wake up anytime soon." I froze.

"What the fuck do you mean he's in a coma?!" Dally yelled angrily. "He'll be okay." Darry says, leading him out of the room to calm down. Dally was under 24/7 surveillance ever since he tried to kill himself. Me and Darry usually watched him.

We all sat down by his bedside. Tears spilled from my eyes and sodapop gave me a hug. "He'll be okay, hun. He's tough." Sodapop softly says. "Okay." For Sodapop's sake I try to hide the fact that I was terrified. "He'll be okay..." Soda said again. I sniffled. "What if he isn't okay?" My brother shakes his head. "Don't say that."

— weeks pass and Johnny still wasn't awake. It was like time was moving very slowly. Today I brought Gone With the Wind so I can read it to him.

"Hey Johnnycakes...today was a pretty boring day...just school and Darry hollerin' at me. I really wish you'd wake up. I brought the book" —I started
crying— "I really miss ya." I sighed and opened the book to find a letter.

Ponyboy
I asked the nurse to give you this book so you could finish it. It was worth saving those little kids, their lives are worth more than mine. They have more to live for. Some of their parents came by to thank me and I knew it was worth it. I've been thinking about it, and that poem, that guy who wrote it, he meant you're gold when you're a kid, like green. When you're a kid everything's new, dawn. It's just when you get used to everything that is that day. Like the way you dig sunsets, Pony. That's gold. Keep that way, it's a good way to be. I want you to tell Dally to look at one. He'll probably think you're crazy but ask for me. I don't think he's ever really seen a sunset. And don't be so bugged over being a greaser. You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There's still lots of good in the world. Tell Dally. I don't think he knows. Just incase I die, I want you to know I have loved you more than anything. More than myself and definitely more than my parents. More than the gang, but most importantly, more than a friend. Sense that day you met me in the lot I have had a liking towards you. I think when I was in 6th I developed a crush on you.

Your admirer,
Johnny

I was shocked. I love him too...what will the gang think if we ever did date. I now knew what he meant by stay gold. Stay who you are. I remember that time we met...

— The sun was setting and 7 year old me headed over to the lot to watch it. There was a boy on the couch. He reminded me of a little dark puppy who was beaten and lost in a crowd of strangers. He had bruises and cuts all over him. Worried, I walked up to him.

"Are you...uhm...okay? You looked...beat." The boy just nodded. "My mom could fix ya up real well if you'd like. I'm Ponyboy Curtis."

"...John...John Cade...call me Johnny."

— I smiled at the memory. "I'll make dally watch one. I promise Johnnycakes." I pretended like I saw him nod back. I started reading Gone With the Wind to Johnny.

That evening, I kept my promise. I walked to the Curtis house and went to the living room where Dallas was. "Dal," —he looked up at me— "Can I show you something?" He nods. We walk to the lot in silence; we got to the couch in the lot right as the sun started to set.

"Johnny wrote a letter to me." The older looked at me. "He said to show you a sunset; told me there's still good in the world. He wanted you to know that." I swore I saw that tuff guy smile before it quickly disappeared. "Dally," —the brown eyed boy looked at me— "You were really close with him, weren't you?" He nodded. "I was too. But yet it seemed like our relation to him was completely different." I say. "...he's like a brother to me..." Dally says, breaking his tough act for a second.

"Is it bad that I see him...more than a friend?"

"Knew it." Was all Dallas said. I was in shock. "W-what?" The older looked at me. "It's pretty obvious." I blushed like crazy. "O-oh hush!" I huffed. "You're an alright kid for him, pony." I smiled widely. "Don't tell anyone about this conversation, kid." He stated in a cool tone. I nodded, knowing he wanted to be tough. "Right."

I don't know how long Johnny was going to be in that coma. But I knew I had Dally to comfort me. Even if he were tougher, colder, meaner; Dallas Winston had a soft spot for Johnny (and maybe is starting to like me as a friend as well).