𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 - 𝐉𝐎𝐇𝐍𝐍𝐘

TWO YEARS LATER : 1968

— I have been doing physical therapy everyday and I have been getting way better. One day, I get to physical therapy and Aurora was already waiting for me. We go to her room and start working. Although there was a new addition to the room.

Parallel bars.

"When you leave today. You'll be able to walk Johnny. I extended our session so whenever you don't want to work anymore, tell me. All day is the max you can stay. Until 8:30 pm. And it's 8:30 am."

I smile at Aurora. The past 2 years have been going great! I'm an official adult so I finally got away from my parents (they are now in jail anyway). I have my own house. It's small but home. But this...this is the best.

My mind decided right then in there,

I wasn't leaving until I can walk.

We started with trying to simply stand up. Which I had done before a year ago so I can stand up on my own.

— Me and Ponyboy were in Aurora's room and her and Ponyboy were trying to stand me up. They pushed me out of my wheelchair after those pain meds kicked in. Ponyboy and Aurora supported my weight.

"Darling! You're standing! See!" I smiled at pony.

"I see."

— I smile at the memory. Only a few weeks ago I learnt how to stand without help. She put her hand on my back to support me and I put my hands on the bars.

"Can you try to take a step?" She says softly. I try but almost immediately fall. She catches me and we start up again.

— we try and try and try. At 2:45 pm and after 8 breaks, I finally make it to the end of the bars with her supporting me. She already told the gang I would be staying many hours longer so I knew none of them were worrying about me.

"You walked Johnny! You did it! Cmon! Let's try again!" Aurora encourages.

— we worked to the bone. At 8:00 pm, I walked without the bars but with her support. I look at her and hug her, crying. She hugs me back tightly. "You wanna go show your friends? I bet I can get out of work early."

I smile and nod. She nods and clocks out of work. She helps me into the car and she starts driving. She knew the address from the countless of times she picked me up and dropped me off. Which I appreciated.

"How do you feel about being able to walk?" She asks. "I love it. I can already sense everyone's reactions." Aurora chuckles. "Really? What will they be like you think?" The strawberry blonde asks.

"Darry and pony will definitely cry happily. Dally will be shocked. But let me let you in on a secret. When Dallas is shocked, he's more than happy. Sodapop will be happy so will Steve...and two-bit...me and two-bit made a deal." Aurora looks at me in confusion.

"We made a deal when I walk...he'll stop drinking so much beer." The strawberry blond smiles. We arrive at the Curtis household. "Are you ready?" I nod happily. "More than ready."