Chapter 1: Farmgirl

"Danica! Run inside and get Mom and Papa. Tell them Silver Dollar is going into labor," I shout through the barn as my little sister runs into our farm house.

"Sure thing Cals," she says as she runs. I jog back over to my blue roan Tennessee Walker. She was given to me as a birthday present when I was 12. She is snorting and pacing around her pen trying to find relief from the pains of childbearing. I try to reassure her with her favorite snack, sugar cubes.

" 'Atta girl... Come on Silver. You oughta lay down. It'll make this much easier and quicker," I coerce. Mom and Dad walk up just then with Dani trailing them and Dixie, her Border Collie, not too far behind.

"Took y'all long enough," I comment, stressed for my horse.

"Relax darlin' Silver's doing just fine," Mom comforts me.

"How long is this going to take," I ask, already knowing the answer.

Dad shakes his head at my silly question, "Six to eight hours. You said she just went into labor?"

I shake my head no, "I'm not sure, I just came to check on her and I see her water's broke and she is pacing. I don't know how long she's been in labor." At that moment Silver finally lays down and begins huffing and breathing heavily.

"Looks like we won't have to wait for a foal," Mom says enthusiastically as she and Dad hop the fence. I follow them like a nervous chicken to see if I can help.

"It's best if you go inside baby doll. Only because your dad and I are more experienced," Mom suggests. I leave obediently and go to my room to wait on our new foal.
~*~*~*~*~*~

"Congratulations sweetie! Silver had a baby girl," my parents announce as they walk in late that night.

I sit up, "Can I see her," I ask eagerly.

"Probably better if you leave her alone tonight," Dad says with sympathy.

"Oh, okay. In that case. Night Mom, night Dad!" They laugh and shut my door to let me "sleep."

I actually pull out my phone, Silver had her baby!!!, I text by best friend Melanie. She responds almost immediately, That's great, I can't wait to meet the new foal! But it's late and I'm tired. Night babe! I quickly realize how late it was and type back, Oh, sorry! This time it took her a while to reply, No worries! I have to come over tomorrow anyway so we can prep for the county fair together! I almost drop my phone; I completely forgot about the fair this weekend. Mel and I always went together but I had gotten so excited about the foal it had slipped my mind. I instantly text back, Yeah! It works perfectly! See you then! I toss my phone onto my nightstand and fill my mind with images of the fair and the foal until I fell asleep.