Chapter 12: Sleepover with Sis

After a long day of riding Silver around in the arena and walking the mare and foal around some of the easy trails I am beat.

I stumble out of the barn and hear my horse nicker goodbye, "Love you too sweetie," I call. I plod my way through the house and see Dani watching some television show. She seems fairly engrossed so I figure now is a perfect time to take a bath.

I walk into my bathroom and decide to take a shower before I soak. I rinse the dirt and sweat from my skin and hair. My shampoo smells like strawberries and kiwi. After I'm done I wrap myself in a fluffy towel and grab my rarely used, soothing bubble bath from Bath & Body Works. Turning on the water and making sure the temperature is just right I put some in and light a candle that has the same scent. I pull my locks into a messy bun, turn on some music and settle into the hot water.

I sigh inhaling the smell of iced cupcakes fresh out of the oven and relaxing my sore muscles. I do not regret this decision... I let my mind wander and eventually find myself thinking about Scotty. Thinking about his lopsided smile and deep, melodic voice makes me smile and feel bubbly. Those thoughts inevitably lead to when we were on the boat and my dream. I wonder if he is a good kisser, I wonder, picturing his full lips, blushing. How would I know if he's a good kisser... I've never kissed anyone! I sink deeper into the bubbles, embarrassed, like anyone can see my thoughts.

I honestly can't believe how easily my parents accepted Scotty. My mom instantly loved him when. she saw us snuggling. She sees how comfortable we are around each other and accepts that I am mature enough to date. My dad's reaction breaks my heart. I never knew he was worried about losing me. I am very pleased that he likes Scotty so much, I know he'll come around to the idea of me dating.

I sit for a while longer before hopping out and draining the tub. My hair is mostly dry so I plait is and walk into my room. Sitting there on my bed is Dani in her pajamas.

She looks up from her phone and smiles, "Hi! Did you have a good bath?"

I laugh at her Hello Kitty pajamas, "I did, I feel much cleaner! What about you, what's up?"

She looks down but I can see the shy look on her face, "Well it's been awhile since we've had a sleepover... I miss hanging out with you..."

I chuck her on the chin, "Well, where are your stuffed animals and magazines? What are you waiting for?" Her head flies up and she leaps off my bed. I laugh and slide under the covers. I hook my phone up to my speakers and she storms back in, obviously excited. She crawls into the blankets and whips out the all of the latest magazines and her phone.

I turn up the country music, "So? Any cute boys in your grade?"

"Well, maybe," she blushes.

I gasp, "Do tell!"

She opens up her phone and pulls up Instagram, she shows me a profile of a boy her age, "Here..." 

I take a moment to look at some of the pictures before I realize I recognize the face, "Dani is this... Dallas Hamilton? Really?"

She nods, "Yeah! Oh my gosh he is so cute Sis! And he is a lifeguard. He wants to become a Marine in the future."

I scroll through a couple more photos, "Wow! You got yourself a nice one Dani!"

She smiles, "Yeah, I really like him," she takes back her phone only to hand it back to me. Grinning she says, "Oh no, we are not listening to this. You have to hear Scotty sing!" She plugs her phone into my speakers and does a little dance as it starts.

I blush wildly, "Oh man!" I hear a familiar voice ever come over the sound system. I've never heard this song of his before. His already musical voice and the lyrics combined are hypnotic. Dani and I sit and listen, mesmerized.

I know I'm still young
But, I know how I feel
I might not have too much experience
But, I know when love is real.

By the way my heart starts pounding
When I look into your eyes
I might look a little silly
Standing with my arms stretched open wide.

I squirm under my sister's sly gaze. "He wrote this part for you," she mouths. I smack her, "He didn't even know me! And he didn't write this song," I inform her loudly.

I love you this big
Eyes have never seen... this big
No-one's ever dreamed... this big
And I'll spend the rest of my life
Explaining what words cannot describe but, I'll try
I love you this big

I'll love you to the moon and back
I'll love you all the time
Deeper than the ocean
And higher than the pines.

Cause girl, you do something to me
Deep down in my heart
I know I look a little crazy
Standing with my arms stretched all apart.

Dani and I sway along to the next part.

I love you this big
Eyes have never seen... this big
No-one's ever dreamed... this big
And I'll spend the rest of my life
Explaining what words cannot describe but, I'll try
I love you this big

So much bigger than I ever dreamed my heart ever would
I love you this big
And I'd write your name in stars across the sky
If I could, I would

I love you this big
Oh, eyes have never seen... this big
No-one's ever dreamed... this big
And I'll spend the rest of my life
Explaining what words cannot describe but, I'll try
I love you this big

I love you this big
Oh, eyes have never seen... this big
No-one's ever dreamed... this big
And I'll spend the rest of my life
Explaining what words cannot describe but, I'll try
I love you this big...

Dani smiles at me and hugs me tightly, "I'm so happy for you Sissy," she says, "You are made for each other..." I squeeze her tightly, glad she approves.