Chapter 19: Tomorrow

Scotty catches up impressively fast, he and Trotter keep pace with Silver and I most of the way. The closer we get the more Scotty tries to pull ahead. In the last stretch I lean down and whisper in my girl's ear, "Yeehaw Silver." She gives me one flick of her ear and takes off at a gallop. We come into the clearing in front by about twenty paces. I let out a whoop, " 'Atta girl!" She nickers and I give her four sugar cubes as a reward. Scotty speeds in and pulls up next to us. He dismounts, "Dagum... I don't know how you did it but Silver sure can take off." I pass him some of the treats, which he hands to Trotter. Trotter and Silver nicker and follow us into the clearing to the lake. I shove off my boots and shorts, "That's just how I trained her," I inform him.

Next thing I know Scotty has thrown me over his bare shoulder. I squeal as he runs to the end of the pier and tosses me into the water. I come up gasping for air, "Alright alright I get it. You're a sore loser," I say laughing. Holding out my hand I ask him, "Now help me out Cowboy." Scotty grabs my hand in his, Fool... I suddenly reach up with my other hand and yank him in. I swim away as fast as I can. I reach the shore and sprint to the pier with Scotty on my heels. I yelp as he reaches me and tackles me off the end and back into the lake. We surface laughing, "Okay, okay! You win, I lose! I concede," I say. We swim to the bank and get out. He wraps his arms around me from behind and pulls me against his chest. "I accept your surrender..." He murmurs, "Blue jean baby..." He releases me but keeps ahold of my right hand. Together we walk over to the dock and sit on the edge.

I lean my head on Scotty's shoulder. I feel him take a deep breath and lay his head on mine, "Callie... I... Need to tell you something." His tone scares me, "Yes," I ask. My voice quivers. Scotty takes my hand in his, "Baby... I feel like I've known you my whole life. I can trust you with everything. Nothing compares to the way I feel around you..." Why does he keep pausing, I wonder. My heart stops when I hear him choke the next sentence out, "I just learned yesterday... I have to go back... On tour..." A giant abyss opens inside me. I sniffle, "Scotty..." My voice is breaking, "I... Think I knew you would have to leave sometime... I'll just miss you so much." He takes my cheek in his hand. I can't bear to meet his gaze. He reaches over and holds my chin up with his other hand, "Callie... I am so sorry... I can't stand to put you through this." I feel a single tear fall, "Sc- I know you don't. I don't blame you..." Another tear falls. I squeeze my eyes shut and take a shaky breath.

I open my eyes just in time to see tears pooling in Scotty's. I grip his hand tightly, "When..." I have to know. He looks away and hesitates, "Tomorrow." I choke up, "Two days... Two days is all they gave you to prepare..." He turns back to me and nods. It's my turn to look away, "I'm s- sorry Callie," I hear him stutter. I look back in time to see the first tear fall, "Oh... Scotty... You're handsome even when you cry." He flashes that small, lopsided smile I love so much. We face each other again, "How can we be asked to do this..." he bows his head. Our foreheads touch, we remain like that, leaning upon each other in the face of our separation, crying. I run my fingers through his hair, "Oh Scotty... The Lord wouldn't put us through anything we can't handle. We have to trust him..." Scotty nods, "You're right..." He brushes away a tear from my cheek, "We can stay in touch." I sniffle and rub my eyes, "Of course. That is very true." He brushes the hair from my face, "I'll call you every weekend." I shake my head to clear it, "And every once in a while I could come to your concerts. I could visit you." A small smile forms on his face, "Absolutely baby... Three hundred miles won't be so far." I try and smile, "Yeah, maybe... Scotty," I pause, "Don't forget..."

I tear up again and feel his warm, strong arms wrap around me, "How can I forget the most beautiful girl in my world," he asks. With a sniffle I answer faintly, "Fame does crazy things to people." He holds me tighter, "I pray that will never happen." We watch Silver and Trotter graze and prance around together. A sense of acceptance settles over the two of us. Still watching the horses I ask, "Where are you going?" His chest reverberates as he answers shortly, "Nashville." Once again I am awed and amazed that this extraordinary boy, could even look at an average girl like me. "What will you be doing there," I wonder aloud. With a large sigh he responds, "This was the last stop of my American Idol tour. At the end of the show they told me I have ten weeks before my deadline for my first album. My songwriters have been working nonstop since then. They were going to write all the songs but I insisted on putting a few of my own in there." He pauses, "The songs are ready. Now I have to go back and record them." I lean against him, "Are you scared," I ask.

"A little..."