Chapter 14: I Don't Wanna Be Your Friend

A couple hours later the girls have come out victorious! Dani sprinted out of the forest waving the boys' flag wildly with them all chasing after her. The guys are still a bit bitter. Collin looks at us and asks, "Where was your flag?!"

All the girls shrug and I go fetch the flag, "Right here," I hold it up. Dallas' jaw drops.

"So only you knew where it was?"

Mel nods, "That way you couldn't try and torture it out of us."

Danica jumps in next, "That's also why we spread out and guarded different places, none of our knew what we were guarding." The boys all nod, finally accepting their defeat.

Now everyone has dried off so we are all mingling and talking. I am walking around and introducing Scotty, all of them are accepting him surprisingly well. I can see it in his face that he is happy to be accepted and treated like a normal person.

Our last stop is Sammy, "Oh, Hey Sammy! This is Scotty. Sam, Scotty. Scotty, Sam."

Scotty shakes her hand, "Hello Sam, good to meet ya'! Where're you from?"

She smiles, "Hi! I'm from South Dakota. I am here to visit for a couple of weeks."

We all sit down and Scotty asks, "What brought you here? South Dakota is pretty far."

Sammy nods, expecting that question, "It is pretty far but my family likes to travel. We are big on animals so my mom suggested I get out and teach people how to... Connect with animals. It's mostly for little kids and occasionally adults." I fill in the rest.

"They're starting organizations all across the country!" Sammy laughs and rolls her eyes at my antics.

"Yeah. What brings you here Scotty," she asks but before we can answer she jumps, "Wait! Are you two a couple?"

I cannot believe she just asked that, "Well-" I start.

Scotty however is smiling ear-to-ear, "I guess we are now!" He laughs and I blush brightly, giggling.

Sammy smirks and smiles, "Really? That's fantastic! You guys suit each other very well" she crosses her arms smugly, "Frankly you make an adorable couple." I blush deeper and stand speechless. Scotty wraps an arm around my waist.

"Well thank you Sammy. I think so," he kisses the top of my forehead, "Hey, I was just about to grab my guitar and play something."

Sammy starts back toward the fire, "Sounds good! I've heard so much about your voice, about time I hear it!" She laughs. Scotty enters the house to fetch his guitar he left if there earlier. He is still holding my hand so I come along with him. We get inside and I peck him on the cheek, "Well hey there," he says chuckling.

I smile, "I'm just glad we're on the same page," I inform him.

He wraps me in one of those hugs I love so much and buries his head in my hair, "Hmm me too..." he sighs. Smelling his heavenly cologne and feeling his heartbeat I sigh too.

Eventually we pull away and walk outside. Scotty and I find seats next to each other on a log. Mattie and Andrew are snuggled together on the ground; Lael and Riley are standing together with an arm around each other. I see Sammy and Austin talking, Sammy is laughing at whatever he is saying.

Scotty sees them too and whispers, "Would ya look at that..."

I smile up at him, "What do you think?"

He smiles at me and my heart melts, "I think they are cute together... I could see it happening."

He kisses my temple and asks, "Anybody up for some music?"

All of them nod, "Yeah!"

He strums a chord on the guitar, "Y'all should know this song was inspired by someone here. Here goes..." He smiles widely, his ocean blue eyes lighting up and strums another chord before starting...

You got your girls, and I got my boys
You got your gotta see this pin it on Pinterest
While we're out makin' noise
You got your chick flick, we got the game
You got your getcha tan on all day long
While I'm fishin' off a tailgate

He looks over at me and smiles.

I don't wanna be your friend
Nah, already got enough of them
For chillin', grillin', four-wheelin'
Baby, that ain't what I'm feelin'
I don't wanna just hang out
Nah, that ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout
Baby, can't you tell by this song
I don't wanna be your friend

You got the tank top, and I got the jeep
We got an open road and a radio
With no place to be
You got that smile, and I got your hand
Oh, and if you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'
I think you understand

The girls are looking at me slack-jawed and smiling.

I don't wanna be your friend
Nah, already got enough of them
For chillin', grillin', four-wheelin'
Baby, that ain't what I'm feelin'
I don't wanna just hang out
Nah, that ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout
Baby, can't you tell by this song
I don't wanna be your friend

No, I don't wanna be your friend

I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be
Yeah, I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be
Girl, that's for sure
I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be
'Cause I wanna be so much more

He shoots me a wink and a bark of laughter.

I don't wanna be your friend
Nah, already got enough of them
For chillin', grillin', four-wheelin'
Baby, that ain't what I'm feelin'
I don't wanna just hang out
Nah, that ain't what I'm talkin' 'bout
Baby, can't you tell by this song
I don't wanna be your friend

Baby, let me tell you again
I don't wanna be your friend
No, I don't wanna be your friend

I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be